Loft or Roof Aerial?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I could not get a full signal strength channel on my digi telly which occasionally meant the picture breaking up so I thought I would replace the loft Aerial with a new one. (The same aerial also serves a smaller kitchen telly through a splitter with no probson that telly)
Having tried two different makes and models over the last couple of weeks (both CAI approved to std 2) along with new CAI appvd cable I have still got the same problem albeit marginally better than before.
Anyone got any advice on this other than putting the Aerial on the roof or similiar?
I can see the transmitter from my bedroom and I am only some 7-9 :( miles from it as the crow flies so I would have thought I would get a decent signal.

Sponsored Links
Why can you not put it on the roof?

It will be much better up there.

If your that close to the transmitter tower you should be able to get a descent signal with a wire coat hanger!

i would double check the connections first off, and make sure you've got them right. There are websites, and in fact whole forums much like this giving alsorts of detail about this topic. Try google for a website (actually at least 2) which you plug your postcode into and it gives you the exact compass bearing, and elevation your aeriel should point.

Sorry i can't remember what the websites were called, was a while back when i changed mine....

if the connections need to be looked at consider using a proper cable stripper (screwfix, or maplins), then take it back and say it won't work on; (pick some type of other cable and do it on a saturday so you speak to the kid who knows nothing and cares even less - they do have a use after all!)

Also, i found that compression fittings work very well, if you use a co-ax cutter, you just strip the end, pop on the fitting , and close it up - perfect every time - although you will need a compression tool (but the you can do the same as with the cutter)

if the co-ax is old, it may be worth trying with new. Apart from being old spec it may have damage or joints in it. Run it straight to your main TV first, before youi try a splitter.

Because loft aerials are protected from the weather, I feel that if you can get a good signal from one, it is better than having one hanging off a chimney and blowing down from time to time.

Sponsored Links
Have you got the correct group aerial for your transmitter. You can find this on the BBC website. I can't remember the exact details but you should find the info under TV then Transmitters

Using a 2 way splitter will half the signal strength to each telly. You may be well advised to look into buying a powered unit.
Lots more info on this sort of stuff on AV Forums & maybe on Digital Spy.

HRH

Thanks for all the info folks.
I`ve tried new CAI approved cable direct from aerial to the main TV without a splitter but no improvement.
On following links from various replies through the Wolfbane site it seems I need a "Log Periodic" type of aerial for the area I live in. I bought (which i`ve now returned) and tried a wideband type.
Looking around locally now for where I can buy one. The usual DIY stores dont carry them.
Thanks again

Mike,

Aeriels and good TV reception have been the bane of my life for the last 20 years. The only time that I was completely happy was when Camilla organised a pukka TV aerial installer to come round and re-vamp the whole house by replacing the ouside aerial, puting sockets in every room and wiring them up to a central distribution box in the loft so that we could get analogue & satellite in every room. Unfortunatley we've since moved and I'm stuck with a less than perfect aerial signal again.

I am in a similar situation as regards not being far from our local transmitter but a strong signal can be just as bad as a weak one particularly if you select the wrong type of aerial. I suggest checking other houses in your street to see what types they have, how many elements do they have, which way are they pointing, what is the polarity of the elements and, if you can see, whether they have masthead amplifiers fitted.
My main set downstairs has built-in freeview and suffers from picture break-up and blocky screen sometimes, particularly channel 5, but my kid's bedroom portables with el-cheapo asda set-top boxes have no problems at all.
Have you checked to see if there has been a software update for your TV? This should happen automatically late at night but only if you leave your TV on standby. You can manually force an update via your TV menu screen. I did this on my Deawoo set and it improved reception and stability no end. Prior to doing it, I had lost some channels altogether. Check you owners manual and do a search on Wolfbane or similar, updates should be listed there.

HRH

if the connections need to be looked at consider using a proper cable stripper (screwfix, or maplins), then take it back and say it won't work on; (pick some type of other cable and do it on a saturday so you speak to the kid who knows nothing and cares even less - they do have a use after all!)

I take it you wont mind if you are the next customer to come along and buy the second hand tool? I work in the tool shop of a large DIY chain and this happens all too often. Unforunately, the stores policy is not to argue with customers and we are forced to take back tools rather than to stand our ground even when we know the customer is at it. Unless the tool is very badly marked, it will go back on the shelf for someone else to buy.

It almost seems like a TV problem. If the small TV with no problems is a digital one try that on the lead that is giving the problems and if it works you have aTV problem rather than an arial one. In fact try it anyway even if it is not a digital one it might give a clue and if possible swap the TVs round and see if there is any difference.
As someone else said any old arial should work at that range from the transmitter, having said that one on the roof the higher the better is always best.
I do not know which transmitter you are pointing at but the arial and bands are as follows:-
Channels - Group - Colour
21-37 - A - red
35-53 - B - yellow
48-68 - C/D - green
35-68 - E - brown
21-48 - K - grey
21-68 - W - black

A group W should cope with your needs however if you care to post the transmitter info I can let you know which of the above arials is specific for where you are.

Not a recommendation by Maplin supply a suitable group W arial.

BobSBobS

Thanks for the info.
I am pointing at the Redruth, Cornwall Transmitter. On moving here two yars ago I understood I was 7-9 miles from the Transmitter but after digging deeper recently the OS map ref`s for Transmitter and my own location says I am only 3.5 miles away.
Perhaps I am to close and need an attenuator?
At the moment I`m not doing anything but when the weather improves I will put the "correct" type aerial (hopefully i will have all the info by then)and mast on the outside highest point of the bungalow I can access safely.

The arial group you need is B.

However the Redruth transmitter is not up to much hence the problems with digital but the other TV is OK as no problems with analogue.

The site to look at is

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SW690395

which shows quality of the various channels when I looked today Wed 21st 20:45hrs lots were showing poor quality.

Also read the comments there are lots of moans.

To confirm have you checked to see if any of your neighbours are getting a better signal on freeview digital.

Regards
Bob :confused:

I could not get a full signal strength channel on my digi telly which occasionally meant the picture breaking up so I thought I would replace the loft Aerial with a new one. (The same aerial also serves a smaller kitchen telly through a splitter with no probson that telly)
Having tried two different makes and models over the last couple of weeks (both CAI approved to std 2) along with new CAI appvd cable I have still got the same problem albeit marginally better than before.
Anyone got any advice on this other than putting the Aerial on the roof or similiar?
I can see the transmitter from my bedroom and I am only some 7-9 :( miles from it as the crow flies so I would have thought I would get a decent signal.

The best place for your aerial is outside however have you considered that your problem may caused by your tv or stb

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back