Tv Aerial... split or boost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, getting myself in a muddle. Want to take an aerial to bedroom but don't know whether to split the signal or use an amp.
My aerial is in the loft and provides a great picture downstairs for digital. An aerial engineer is telling me that splitting probably won't work and that I could use a remote controlled distribution amplifier. Another aerial suppliers website is saying always try to split, with a good metal splitter, cos of less noise/hassle/cost.
I don't have a socket in the loft so a regular powered amp would need to be on either side of house where I want the tvs. Or I guess could pay for a sparky to put one in loft for me.

I guess I'm trying to work out cheapest and easiest option. Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Tried both but not too successful. In the end I just stuck a second, high gain ariel in the loft & ran a separate cable; use satellite cable, it’s not much more expensive & gives a better digital signal.

Many thanks for that.

I'm sure that is probably my cheapest and easiest option. Should be able to do that myself so no overrated overcharging engineers!

I have 1 roof aerial that feeds 4 tvs via an amp, signal goes from
ant to vcr
vcr to amp
amp off round the house
this way its possible to play vcr out through other tvs

Sponsored Links
I have 1 roof aerial that feeds 4 tvs via an amp, signal goes from
ant to vcr
vcr to amp
amp off round the house
this way its possible to play vcr out through other tvs

pretty similar setup to diy

ariel in loft amplifyer on wardrobe in the bedroom down to living room via freeveiw box vcr1 vcr2 then via further amplifier/4way to
[1]front room
[2]upstairs all beds and attic[slight loss of signal over distance]
[3]kitchen further double booster for kitchen and shed

all the abouve can watch the 2 videos and freveiw via the ariel cable
the 2 freeveiw boxes up stairs have a direct connection from the booster up stairs and scart connections direct to the tvs in the bedrooms

Yea I forgot my freeview works on all the tv's, but thats because they are so cheap each tv has 1. :LOL:

Yea I forgot my freeview works on all the tv's, but thats because they are so cheap each tv has 1. :LOL:

i have 3 freeviews all different makes and the funny thing is down stairs doesnt get sky sports new sky news sky 3 or virgin and dave rather badly

where as the upstairs 2 do !!!

now it could be a signal strength box position or box make problem

have you noticed any difference between your boxes reception!!!!

Big-all, I have 2 makes of freeview both are very good, except for the occasional lock up, ie you have to reboot them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back