loft questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

just a quick question regarding my loft.

i was wondering if anyone can clarify what the 3 waist height beams are for that run across the width of my loft and what is required to remove at least the middle one?

i have fitted a floor to make it safer to walk on and do not intend to use the room as anything more than storage with no regular traffic on it but it is a pain to have to climb over them when i need to get to stuff stored up there.

as said the two outer ones are not much of a problem as 1 is almost over the water tank on one end and the other quite close to the chimney and out the way

many thanks for your time

:)

Sponsored Links
Pretty much all timber in loft spaces are for structural purposes.. chances are these are ties that stop the global spread of the roof..
Leave them where they are.. :)

thats great and thanks for the reply :D

another (possibly dumb) question,

in a mid terrace house built around 1940 with no significant changes been made to the loft space how safe is it to store items up there? in which i mean the environment i.e how cold it gets during winter and hot in summer i often wonder what is safe to put up there like books or metal items that might rust in cold conditions.

i know it seems a silly question but its one i have never had explained to me

cheers again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back