Loft roofing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently boarding out my loft to use as storage / hobby space and want to cover the underside of the roof possibly with plasterboards. Is there a membraine or felt of some sort that needs to be fitted before boarding out?
Our house is a small terraced property and there is no roof felt fitted under the existing tiles.

AMP+033.jpg

Any advice very welcome!

Cheers,
Steve

Sponsored Links
I'm sure you'll get some much more learned answers from other people here, but whatever you do you must make sure that the space around the rafters remains ventilated otherwise they will rot.

I personally would think that just plasterboard under the rafters would give you a real icebox, and so you'll need some insulation. Membrane is usually fitted on top of the rafters. Then there's the size of your joists - adequate? - and Planning/Building Regs to consider.

What sort of insulation would you recommend? and am I right in saying that whatever insulation is put between the rafters should have a gap between it and the plasterboard to allow for airflow?

Sponsored Links
triiso it easy and clean then screw counter battens to the rafters as per instructions plasterboard or what ever over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back