loft room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ilive in a 1950 bungalow it has a loft room that was built as part of the house ie t&g flooring brick walls heating and a dormer this room is accessed by an existing loft ladder if i put in a permanent staircase will this constitute a change of use
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
No assuming you don't intend using it to run a business or something. But I'm not sure you mean that! Its not very clear what you're asking tbh. :confused: Are you getting building regs and planning permission confused?

I had a similar set up in my bungalow when I purchased it. A loft ladder with two rooms in the attic and a window in the one gable end. I enquired about putting a permanent staircase in and removing the loft ladder. The local authority planning department advised me I didn't need planning as the rooms were existing (one was a bedroom and one storage) but I would need building regs for the new stairs case.

I re-developed the two rooms (new timberwork, plasterboard etc) and fitted a new purpose built stair case which building control signed off after inspection (cost about £60 I think 5 years ago). I also asked them advice on fitting new velux windows and distances from the guttering for fire escapes. The problem I had was to get them the correct distance from the guttering posed two problems. One problem was to get the windows to meet the standard I needed to remove the existing purlin and fit two new purlins, one purlin at low level and one at a level above the top of the velux windows, which was a major job and would effect the headheight of the new stairs. The second was my young son would be in the one room and may be able to open the window because it was low level and fall out. This would mean I would have to fit an extra locking system to the window (you know what kids are like :eek: ) which defeats the object of an emergency escape route. The existing window in the gable end of the bungalow has a fire escape casement and leads onto a single story extension which could be used. After having a good look at the situation and listening to my explinations as to these problems, the building inspector was quite happy I fitted the velux windows above the existing purlin. These are still easily accessible to use as an escape route if required and I fitted velux windows with full top openers anyway.

If you are unsure the best way forward give the Local Authority a ring and explain what you want to do and they will help you out. If you encounter problems as I did and you have a good reason why things can't quite be as they should (as above) and you can put a good case forward they will usually listen and come to some compormise, to suit everyone. Or maybe I was very lucky to have a very good building inspector who could apply common sense :D

Sponsored Links
There is no such thing as "change of use" for domestic planning regs. And you won't need PP for this in any case

However, if you put in a fixed staircase, then this will become controlled works under b/regs and you will require this permission. It will be considered a habitable room and will need to comply particularly in terms of insulation and structure of the loft area

However, if as you say, this room was formed as part of the initial build, and it is a room - ie plastered walls and ceiling, then you would argue that the room is "as built" and you would only need b/regs permission to install the stairs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back