Loft socket and light help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully this makes sense.

A while ago I installed the following in my loft:

Spur from ring main socket -2.5mm- Switched FCU (5A) -2.5mm- Double socket in loft.

The socket is only used to power a satellite-multiswitch and aerial booster so nothing heavy.

I want to add 2 60w lights to my loft.

Would it be ok to spur from my socket in the loft or would it be best to connect to the existing upstairs lighting ring?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thought so.

Is it as simple as adding the new lights into the circuit?

So:

Upstairs light - junction box - new light - new light - upstairs light

A switch will be added at the junction box for the new lights.

You need to stay away from the cables to the switches.

If you have easy access to the cables above the roses you could see if u can locate the last rose on the circuit which would have only 2 cables to it.

Connect new cable to that, then to switch and onto the lights.

Sponsored Links
You don't need a junction box.

Connect to an existing light > switch > 1st new light> 2nd new light.

I have easy access to all the lights so should be easy to find the end.

So essentially its spurring my new lights from the existing circuit?

I would personally take another switched fused spur from the loft socket and down fuse to 3A to offer discrimination.
So if you did ever have a fault on the upstairs lighting and required access to the loft for remedial work, you have functional working lights in the loft space as they are not part of that circuit.

I would personally take another switched fused spur from the loft socket and down fuse to 3A to offer discrimination. ... So if you did ever have a fault on the upstairs lighting and required access to the loft for remedial work, you have functional working lights in the loft space as they are not part of that circuit.
I agree - for the reason you give.

In practice, it would probably be almost as good to run the loft lighting directly from the 5A FCU the OP has already installed (i.e. without its own, separate, FCU), since the chances of that 5A fuse blowing (or being blown) at the same time one wanted to work on a fault on the upstairs lighting circuit would be incredibly small.

Kind Regards, John

having the loft socket on a different circuit to the loft lights, means that you can plug in a working lamp to work on the lighting.

So I would prefer the lights to be on the lighting circuit.

Pbod I did consider that option. And it's actually closer to what I have in my loft to allow me to work on the light circuit.
But I'm amazed pbod suggested it as you seamed very against it in the garage thread lol.

I was also considering at some point in the future the socket may want to be used for power tools and the fcu fuse changed to 13a

having the loft socket on a different circuit to the loft lights, means that you can plug in a working lamp to work on the lighting.
To work on the loft lighting (as well as the upstairs lighting circuit) you mean? If so, I agree, but how often is one going to want to do that?
So I would prefer the lights to be on the lighting circuit.
There are clearly swings and roundabouts at work, hence the varying opinions. The reality is that the need to work on either of the lighting circuits will be so rare that it really doesn't make that much difference! If you're really a pessimist, you could have some lights working off the upstairs lighting circuit and also some off a supply derived from the sockets circuit (and maybe also a battery backed-up light in case all the electricity failed!) :)

Kind Regards, John

Pbod I did consider that option. And it's actually closer to what I have in my loft to allow me to work on the light circuit. ... But I'm amazed pbod suggested it as you seamed very against it in the garage thread lol.
When people worry about electricity for garage/workshop lights being derived from the power circuit, it's usually because they fear that a fault on the sockets circuit will take out the lighting whilst the tool is 'spinning down' - probably not usually an issue in a loft, but ....
I was also considering at some point in the future the socket may want to be used for power tools and the fcu fuse changed to 13a
Ah - your mention of power tools may just have invoked the 'garage worry' in some people's minds :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back