Loft socket from immersion cct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I would like a socket in the loft. Since the hot water cylinder has been removed, the immersion circuit seems ideal because it is in a cupboard with easy acces for the cables into the loft (I will make sure that the MCB is the correct rating and label the CU etc.)

My question is this: What type of junction box can you recommend to extend the circuit? I don't mind clipping the new cable to the surface, since it is in the old airing cupboard (it's not in a bathroom!).

I can't picture what sort of box will allow me to join the cables and then allow the new cable to be clipped to the surface. I hope makes sense :confused:

Edit: I mean one that will fit in or replace the existing single gang backbox that was used to supply the immersion heater.

Sponsored Links
if the backbox and all the cables are surface i'd remove it and replace it with an ordinary junction box.

If its a flush box or has flush cables coming to it i'd leave it where it is, stick some terminal block inside it and cover over with a blanking plate.

Thanks for the reply :)

The existing box is flush, with the existing cable to it chased into the wall. I would like the new cable run from the existing backbox clipped to the surface really, it's out of sight anyway and the surrounding plaster is pretty poor (I don't wish disturb it too much and chasing it in seems over-kill in a cupboard)

Does a blanking plate usually have a breakout section in its edge or somthing to allow a cable to exit?

Cheers,

Mark

Flex outlet or cooker outlet plate. Both have breakouts, usually on the bottom, but if you are going up to the loft, then you could mount it upside down. The cable grip is the important part, stops the cable being yanked out of the plate.

Sponsored Links
CallEdsFirst said:
Flex outlet or cooker outlet plate. Both have breakouts, usually on the bottom, but if you are going up to the loft, then you could mount it upside down. The cable grip is the important part, stops the cable being yanked out of the plate.

Top tip! I like the idea of a cooker outlet plate. Thanks! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back