Loft tank..spanner..yoghurt..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read on the net (so it must be true) that an easy solution to vibration in a mains pipe supplying the loft tank that occurs when water is removed, is to dangle a yoghurt carton on stainless steel or galvanized wire from the float arm. Presumably this dampens any fast oscillating movement of the arm that would open and close the valve. Since this method sounds less likely to flood the property than me finding the correct type of new valve and then fitting it - or even just changing the washer- can any one see a problem with this yoghurt carton method? And, were can you get this stainless steel or galvanized wire? Couldn't see it in B&Q...and they seemed to be completely out of yoghurt too.

DaveJ123

Sponsored Links
you probably have galvanised steel wire in your house, bent into the shape of a coat hanger

A simpler solution is just to bend the ball cock arm (as long as it is isn't plastic of course). Move the ball out of line with the pivot, i.e. a bend in the horizontal plane, then you will get a bit of friction at the joint that will damp the oscillations. The more bend the more friction so don't go mad. Start with a little bend as increase if needed.

Sponsored Links
Ok, good work men.

Thanks for the suggestion Malc, but I think a yoghurt carton and a coat hanger will be too hard to resist. :)

DaveJ123

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back