Loft Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have checked the sticky for answers but still need some clarification regarding my loft.

The situation is this: About six/eight weeks ago we had new loft insulation laid and since then have had a condensation problem in the loft.

The house doesn't have a normal pitched roof, it is a pent roof and the loft space goes from about 5ft at the front of the house to 0ft at the rear of the house.

I don't believe any ventilation exists currently but clearly I need some quite quickly.

So my questions are:

As there are no soffits as on a conventional roof how do I install vents in this roofspace?

Installing vents at the front of the house should be relatively easy as there's enough space to move about (just) from the inside but how should I install vents at the rear of the house where there is no space - will I have to remove the guttering and install from the outside?

What type of vents should I install and roughly how many will I need front and back to allow cross-ventilation; is there a rule that states X number of vents are needed for Y cubic metres of loft space?

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the existing ventilation has been blocked by the newly installed insulation.
Perhaps the easiest solution, apart from removing any blockage is to install vent tiles/slates, but you don't mention what type of covering you have.
Normally these are installed from outside.

Recommendations of ventilation here:
http://www.roofconsult.co.uk/articles/tiling/tips28.htm

which is continuous 10mm at eaves and continuous 5mm at ridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back