Log cabin treatment in winter - sadolin wood preserver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I just had a log cabin from Tuin built a couple of weeks back ( mid-January 2024 ). Given that it came untreated I decided to apply 2 coats of a solvent based wood preserver ( https://www.sadolin.co.uk/sadolin-wood-preserver/ ) followed by a top coat ( https://www.sadolin.co.uk/sadolin-superdec-satin-opaque-wood-protection/ ) to add water repellence.

I applied the first coat of the wood preserver last weekend when the temperatures were above 8C and dry during application and 24 hr curing time. I called Sadolin to enquire about applying other top coats and they said that I should NOT be applying wood preservative or any paint during autumn/winter months as the logs will be wet themselves.

I see that the first coat has soaked in really well into the wood especially the edges and end grains. Does this mean that the preservative has worked as expected?
Also I see good weather starting Friday until Monday ( above 9C throughout ). Should I go ahead and apply second coat of preservative or wait until March/April for any further treatments ?

Thank you in advance for your time in reading my query.

Sponsored Links
If you have only done the outsides, then it will still dry out from the inside, it will just take longer to stabilise.

If you have only done the outsides, then it will still dry out from the inside, it will just take longer to stabilise.
I actually did apply a coat of sadolin superdec inside ( no wood preserver inside though ). But in general should I not be doing any treatment or paints at this time of the year ?

The main issue is that it takes too long to dry and might be washed off by rain before it does. There may also be "chemical" reasons not to do this, ie it might not cure properly if additional moisture is introduced.
If the manufacturer has told you not to do it, then there's probably a reason. I am a generally cynical person but in this instance I can't see what the manufacturer would have to gain by giving you incorrect advice on this point.

Sponsored Links
well if it is already coated both sides there will be some protection from the weather, wait until the weather is nicely warmer so the wood gets a chance to get dry into the core. It will take noticeably longer to dry out now that both sides are coated.

The main issue is that it takes too long to dry and might be washed off by rain before it does. There may also be "chemical" reasons not to do this, ie it might not cure properly if additional moisture is introduced.
If the manufacturer has told you not to do it, then there's probably a reason. I am a generally cynical person but in this instance I can't see what the manufacturer would have to gain by giving you incorrect advice on this point.
Yes it feels a bit odd that manufacturer is saying this. When I check with the "crown decorating centres" ( sadolin's ) they said that the sadolin will say this to cover themselves, but people do it all around the year as long as temperature is above the recommended. I will just apply another coat of wood preserver and wait until spring to apply the water repellent top coat on

well if it is already coated both sides there will be some protection from the weather, wait until the weather is nicely warmer so the wood gets a chance to get dry into the core. It will take noticeably longer to dry out now that both sides are coated.
I coated the outside with a wood preserver which doesnt contain wax, so there is no water repellency. I was advised someone to put some tarpaulin sheets to prevent the cabin from getting soaking wet until I add the susbsequent preververs and water repellent top coat

general comments
saturated wood can take weeks and months off dry warm weather to dry out 'the surface can be dry and soak up so no indication

Thanks for all your comments. I will just wait till spring to apply further treatments. Hopefully I will not see much mould/rot/woodworms until then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back