Logistics of fitting a new CH system w/out messing up house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might seem like a straightforward thing but please bear with me - 23yr old female first time DIYer. Got to start somewhere right?

We've just had a new bathroom fitted in a 1900s terrace with no CH. Our hot water boiler is in the bathroom inc pipes running down the wall and in to the floor. We were about to box in/put skirting boards on but is there any point when we'll be getting CH fitted within the year? (new boiler in same place)

A further complication (i suspect) is that we now have a glued down engineered oak floor in the bathroom. There is however a 4cm gap around the existing boiler pipes.

I'm sure the smart answer would be that we should have done it the other way round but the bathroom had to come first and it's too late now.

- How much/little does a new CH system mess up a house?
- Do we leave the skirting boards/boxing in until the CH is done next year?
- Is there a way we could get the pipes for that section put in place now to minimise disturbing the bathroom when we get CH?
- Could we run any pipes around the skirting area instead of ripping up brand new floor? (We have some spare boards left)

Sponsored Links
- How much/little does a new CH system mess up a house?
A fair bit, since most people want pipes concealed under the floors. Removing floorboards in every room is the usual deal. Holes through walls and ceilings are also fairly likely.

- Do we leave the skirting boards/boxing in until the CH is done next year?
Probably a good idea.

- Is there a way we could get the pipes for that section put in place now to minimise disturbing the bathroom when we get CH?
Without seeing it, no way to know.

- Could we run any pipes around the skirting area instead of ripping up brand new floor? (We have some spare boards left)
Pipes can be fixed to the wall and boxed in. Whether that is a satisfactory appearance depends on those living there. Generally it is only done when there is no other option, such as flats with solid concrete floors and ceiling.

bathroom had to come first and it's too late now.
It's never too late. Floors can be removed. The ceiling in the room below can be hacked off.

Generally, it is usual to do all of the basic services before any fancy decoration is considered. That means plumbing, central heating, electrical wiring, insulation, gas pipes and so on.

Thank you flameport.

As I suspected although I'm a little peeved that the guy that fitted our bathroom and laid the floor etc didn't bring this up when he quoted for both jobs to be done.

We've been quoted £2200 for new boiler and 7 radiators inc fitting and thermostats, which I suspect is a very good price, no?

Sponsored Links
Cheap price yes. But before you say yes ask what boiler is to be used. Its all well and good saving cash on the install. Then forking out after the 2 year warranty runs out. As cheap boiler manufacturers make there money back through the price of parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back