long reach hedge trimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i really need some help on this..my trimmer engine works and the metal pole spins around when the trigger is pulled....but when i put the cutters on the pole the blades wont move...i've greased them and loosened the nuts on the blade but still nothing..i even put a new chainsaw pole onto the machine to see if that works,but still nothing...i know someone will sort it out for me on here as i've never been let down before..many thanks..any help appreciated..matt

Sponsored Links
What make?

Probably the bevel gears in the head that turn rotary drive into oscillating motion on the cutters are shot - depending on what make you might be able to get spares, if its Chinese though then unlikely.

To test take the head off and see what happens when you spin the coupling in the small gearbox on the head. If it turns but the blade remains stationary then something has sheared somewhere. I have had it before when I tried to cut stuff that the cutter wasn't designed for and something had to give!!

If the geared head hasn't seen regular greasing, you could find quite a mess in there when you open it up, unfortunately.
However, the failed parts will be obvious!
As a guide line, the cutter head including blades for a Stihl HL range is around £150.
John :)

What make?

Probably the bevel gears in the head that turn rotary drive into oscillating motion on the cutters are shot - depending on what make you might be able to get spares, if its Chinese though then unlikely.

To test take the head off and see what happens when you spin the coupling in the small gearbox on the head. If it turns but the blade remains stationary then something has sheared somewhere. I have had it before when I tried to cut stuff that the cutter wasn't designed for and something had to give!!
........HI ITS A BS2600 ...IM IN THE PROCESS OF STRIPPING IT DOWN AS I WRITE...NOT SURE EXACTLY WHERE THE SMALL GEAR BOX IS BUT IM GOING TO TRY MY BEST ...IVE TAKEN THE SILVER PLATE OFF THE BACK...GREASE EVERYWHERE INSIDE..IM GOING TO HAVE A LOOK AT SPINNING THE COUPLING NOW..

Sponsored Links
What make?

........HI ITS A BS2600 ...IM IN THE PROCESS OF STRIPPING IT DOWN AS I WRITE...NOT SURE EXACTLY WHERE THE SMALL GEAR BOX IS BUT IM GOING TO TRY MY BEST ...IVE TAKEN THE SILVER PLATE OFF THE BACK...GREASE EVERYWHERE INSIDE..IM GOING TO HAVE A LOOK AT SPINNING THE COUPLING NOW..
BET YOU CAN WHISPER ACROSS THREE FIELDS TOO, WHY USE THE INTERNET.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back