Look, no Acrows!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Questions are often asked as to whether props are required when removing masonry i.e. when knocking through etc. I say use common sense when dealing with smaller door sized openings.

These pictures are of a job we did yesterday and it was done with no props although we did bring a pair just in case. It's a one brick thick (9") wall with headers although many of the headers are snappers. The mortar is not brilliant so we expected some loosening. I used small wooden wedges, knocked into the perp's to prevent any of the bricks from dropping, as soon as they showed signs.

We also left the odd brick in whilst removing most of the lintel bearing as to preserve the bricks above......

Sponsored Links
A good example, and a brief risk assesment would indicate that at worst your get a triangle of two dozen bricks falling rather than the whole building.

I did a door opening in a very similar way at my house but used a single metal expanding wedge between two bricks immediatly above the new opening just to keep some pressure to stop any dropping.

Great.

What's the refund policy for when I do the 8 panel bifolds on the back of the house, using the "no.se acro" method?

Sponsored Links
Maybe a silly question,

Did you drill the hole in the centre to get the alignment or for another purpose?

Why did you choose that pattern of stitch drilling?

It's nice to see a pro do work, as a very green diy'er it's really nice to see how it should be done.

Thanks

Graeme

Bilabong007, hi

If you complete the stitch drilling on an in-tact wall, that is a wall that is fully connected without the knock out for the lintel, the wall you are drilling into is far more stable and less liable to move.

If you cut out the Lintel pockets, even leaving bricks in place then the drilling of the stitch drill can in some circumstances cause micro fractures to occur in the wall mortar, this in turn can lead to a form of in stability in the wall.

The stitch drill also provided a very accurate positioning of the lintel pockets and insert, don't forget, the completely through the brick stitch drilling will allow the deadly accurate positioning of the proposed door, in that you will be able to see where on each side of the proposed door opening the doors position can be very accurately decided, on each side of the proposed door, this is especially important if the proposed door is being sited at the end of two opposing corridors, and the corridors do not mate precisely

Ken.

Maybe a silly question,

Did you drill the hole in the centre to get the alignment or for another purpose?
Correct. Purely as a measuring datum.

Why did you choose that patterggn of stitch drilling?
The perp' joints dictate the pattern in many cases. There is no point religiously following an upright line when there is a risk that a remaining closure will just fall out in any case.
So, you look at the brick bond and assume which bricks will need weakening and which bricks will just fall out when you start with the breaker.

When were those grey breezeblocks start used from in the building trade? Why is it with old houses from the 1930s the upper floor internal floors are made of facing bricks and not large cheaper ones?

Questions are often asked as to whether props are required when removing masonry i.e. when knocking through etc. I say use common sense when dealing with smaller door sized openings.

Or, use someone with barely any common sense but a lot of experience for slightly wider openings :)
WP_20150114_002.jpg

^woody^ said:
8 panel bifolds on the back of the house

Might wanna use a couple of acrows at least - what we're doing there is only 4 panel..

Last edited:
Curious to know why you stitch drilled at all and didn't just run down the wall with a stihl saw?

Curious to know why you stitch drilled at all and didn't just run down the wall with a stihl saw?
DUST!
You can't use a Stihlly in someone's' house (i.e. the opposite side) so you may as well get used to stitch drilling. Not that bad if you have a decent SDS.

Is it me ? but why in picture 4 can i see what looks tlike the tip of a couple of strongboys projecting through, but picture 5 reveals nothing below...Photoshop maybe?? so just what are those projecting tips a few courses above the door in pictures 4 and 5????

Is it me ? but why in picture 4 can i see what looks tlike the tip of a couple of strongboys projecting through, but picture 5 reveals nothing below...Photoshop maybe?? so just what are those projecting tips a few courses above the door in pictures 4 and 5????

slate packers probly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back