Looking for right radiator wrench / spud wrench for 3/4 bps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am trying to find a radiator spud /tail wrench to fit my 3/4 bps radiator tails but don't know which one I need , I have the alankey one that fits my 1/2 bps tails/spuds but it's to small to fit my 3/4 tail/spuds any one help please , I have fully restored some Victorian 3/4 bps radiator valves even had to get the rubber washer from USA as no one in uk had rubber washer bigger Nuff now gone to fit them and can't get the tails/spuds in the rads ..and it's getting cold so really need to get the cast iron rads in

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't rely on there being a standard.
On the rare occasions I've needed to do the bigger valves I've found a tapering cold chisel with a rectangular section which does the job.

You could probably use the outside of a pressed-steel type tubular spanner - always used to be "Melco" and be quite cheap in a set.

There is a radiator wrench on the market called a step radiator wrench and has 5 Diffrent sizes but not sure what size I need ??

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi I am trying to find a radiator spud /tail wrench to fit my 3/4 bps radiator tails but don't know which one I need , I have the alankey one that fits my 1/2 bps tails/spuds but it's to small to fit my 3/4 tail/spuds any one help please , I have fully restored some Victorian 3/4 bps radiator valves even had to get the rubber washer from USA as no one in uk had rubber washer bigger Nuff now gone to fit them and can't get the tails/spuds in the rads ..and it's getting cold so really need to get the cast iron rads in

It's BSPT British standard pipe thread. No wonder you cant find any bps. :LOL:

I have a 14mm allen key that has been ground to a taper. I find it fits most valves.

The plumworld one will do as I expect the OP has the internal lugs.

£20 quid cheaper than ebay as well :rolleyes:

It's BSPT British standard pipe thread. No wonder you cant find any bps. :LOL:

I have a 14mm allen key that has been ground to a taper. I find it fits most valves.
I put bsp but computer changed it sorry doh

The plumworld one will do as I expect the OP has the internal lugs.

£20 quid cheaper than ebay as well :rolleyes:
there is cheaper ones on eBay it was just a example plus I need one that comes with a wrench you see

Its a standard 1/2" drive the one in you socket set should fit.

You can buy a sq adapter socket in halfords for a few quid.

Personally I would use a pair of grips or an adjustable spanner, or even a pair of stilsons same we we used to in the good ole days, unless you have hundreds to do.

I certainly wouldn't chuck 20notes on something that may never get used again.

Personally I would use a pair of grips or an adjustable spanner, or even a pair of stilsons same we we used to in the good ole days, unless you have hundreds to do.

very true I will see if I can find a adapter online thanks if not the old adjustable will have to come out

very true I will see if I can find a adapter online thanks if not the old adjustable will have to come out

You should have an extension bar in you socket set use it the other way round :rolleyes: if not I'm sure a soket or something will fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back