Looking for someone to weld a piece of tube for me, but not sure who or how to ask

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I really hope to get some help here, as I'm a bit clueless. I have the following to things I want to get welded together:

This tube:

And on each end, I'd like to get a flat plate welded

It's to connect to identical pieces together that I already own.

The obvious choice is to buy this ready fabricated, but I don't know where to begin looking there either, so I wonder how to go about contacting someone to make this for me?

Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Just find a local blacksmiths, they will probably have box section and plate on hand anyway.

Some back-street garages will do it.

I used to know someone whose business ran skip-lorries, and the mechanics welded up damage in their greasy shed.

Sponsored Links
Any tyre and exhaust centre will have welding equipment and should be able to do it for you.

What is it to do?
60x60 x4 will give a 52 mm internal.
You could insert a 50 mm square slug inside, packed with flat bar.
Use epoxy as a bond.

Is that still going?

I think I used to get off in Perth.

Also slept to Edinburgh Waverley
Yep they got new trains a few years ago, it's very fancy now! Need deep pockets to buy a ticket.

I wonder how to go about contacting someone to make this for me?
If you wanted to arrange the postage I'd do it for nothing; I like welding. You might struggle if the bar is over 2m though

A quick google for steel fabricators, people who make gates and railings etc

Or just buy a stick welder; they're low tech but ideal for this sort of job. You can get a new one for less than 50 quid but FB marketplace usually has loads listed, 20 quid should get an adequate machine. Buy a bit of extra bar to practice on. Good thing about welding is you can always cut it apart and go again if you make a mess

Did want to point out that you're getting fairly shafted by the metal retailer you found: a 60x60x5 by 1 metre long coats 32 quid plus 16 quid delivery.. The first eBay hit I found wanted 26 including delivery for the same thing. Search eBay for item number 332683743501

Also prefab footplates exist eg something like eBay item number 175486977871- find one where the centre spigot is 50mm and it should fit inside a 60/60/5 box section

Last edited:
Unfortunately not near you, but my local steel stockholder has a fabrication shop - they'll sell you the steel and weld/drill it for you etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back