looking to work for free to gain experience in plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all you well expreienced plumbers out there i am from birmingham/dudley area and is looking to work with a plumber for free saturday and sunday to gain experience to help me with my NVQ level 2 plumbing course that i am doing ,i would like to be available week days but due to paying for my college course i have to do other job in the week,i am very practical in most areas of the building industry and could be a good pair of extra hands to have around ,but ideally am looking for some practical experience to aid with my portfolio building ,knowledge and understanding for my upcoming assesments,WILL WORK FOR FREE,thanks in advance anyone.

Sponsored Links
you're in queue position 999999912345678
as said many many many times i get at least 3 a month of these type of offers!
sadly most of us are too busy to hold someones hand that clearly doesn't know one end of a spanner from the other.

best of luck finding someone!!

Wow! Someone willing to work for free and no takers? I know there's an economic downturn etc but free labour has to be worth a chance, or has insurance and PC got too expensive? If it doesn't work out then you can always say goodbye.

With all due respect KDG, I'm sure you weren't born an accomplished tradesman, you served an apprenticeship and learnt your trade, how can this kid do that if nobody gives him a chance?

I'm not a plumber, I'm a time served spark, way back when, and I know that some of the apprentices in recent years have been awful, believe me I had my fair share of numpties, even 10 years ago I noticed the "dip in calibre", but if we, and I mean you my friend, don't at least try to train some of these lads then where are the next good tradesmen going to come from?

Cheers to both and I mean absolutely no offence to either.

Sponsored Links
'm not a plumber, I'm a time served spark, way back when, and I know that some of the apprentices in recent years have been awful, believe me I had my fair share of numpties, even 10 years ago I noticed the "dip in calibre", but if we, and I mean you my friend, don't at least try to train some of these lads then where are the next good tradesmen going to come from?

please give one good reason why, craftsmen and tradesmen, should give up one second of their time for free?

these idiots have generally less potential than chimpanzies :evil: :evil:

It isn't FREE LABOUR!!!

Its FREE PRACTICAL TRAINING that they are after

If one is able to pay thousands to these training centres why should the pratical training which is actually more important to earn crust be provided free from a tradesman

200 quid a day and i will take you on for practical training minimum of two days per week,and contract for 6 months ,first three months to be paid in advance

Free labour no thank you , I have an an 18 year old apprenitce who i am more then happy to pay a decent wage to help me along with the work

i no this is a old post.
but
i cant belive the comments on this page...
no wonder it took me so long.

Its not a very old topic and in any case is always topical !

The plain fact is that a trainee will usually hold you up.

Many of us do like to help trainees when we can.

However, the reality is that they are then likely to steal your customers and undercut you in your own local area.

Tony

to compose a reply :?:

im sorry what would you like me to reply about...

im sorry if i have offended people on this topic.
however.

With all due respect to Agile when you state

(However, the reality is that they are then likely to steal your customers and undercut you in your own local area.)

is this something that you did when you was able to go out by yourself??
have you ever given someone a chance..?? or if your worried about this why not take someone from out of your area

it took me 4 years to get into college and when i did I done a 3 year plumbing course.
During and after the course i was unable to get someone to take me on. so i was advised to do a gas course so i did a course call guild of gas fitters (yes its a quick course)
after that i was able to work for someone for 20 weeks (FREE) sweeping up making tea changing TRV'S and Gas safety inspections ect just to get some hours
I would also like to say that i have NEVER stepped on the persons toes who was good enough to give me my hours and i dont intead to.
Even now after all my efforts i am still finding it hard for someone to teach me fault finding on boilers. however as soon as i learn i am willing to teach people.

I guess what i am trying to say is someone took there time to teach you i am just finding it very hard to understand why people teach dont others.
or have people forgotten how hard it is???

This is at no point taking a dig at Agile

Agile is right. looking after number one in this world is the key an stuff anyone else who wants to take what av got!! Facts are there are already far to many gas fitters these days thank you bg.. my trade is a dying one.

Same question in another topic and i will give the exact same advise.

Heres my Tuppenth worth for what its worth.

Bloody do it mate, but not the Fast Track route.
Alot of Colleges do night classes on both plumbing and Gas so look there.
Try to gain employ (non paid) at weekends or your Holidays with a Good local firm.
Read, Read and then Read somemore and not just your books, check every subject on here and learn all that is told, i have solved an awful lot of plumbing and heating issues due to far more knowlegeable than me on here. I still read nearly every post just incase i find out something i never knew before.

Take people like Agile with a pinch of Salt as he always sounds bitter but take in every piece of knowledge you can from engineers like him as he has forgot more and seen more changes in this industry than i will ever know or see.

And then just stick at it, For 8 years i was a site plumber/Gas engineer or as they call it on here sometimes a House Basher.
I worked in new build and only did installs but in the last year a local fim took me on retrained me and i am now a service and breakdown guy, i will not call myself an engineer yet as the breakdown part can have me in tears somedays but i love my job and was only 23 when i started so a career change can be done.

As for the self employed part i now know that i need at least another 5 years on job training before i could happily go self employed on a job to job basis as there is so much i dont know.

Money wise i now earn £33k + per year includes Van, Fuel, Insurance and Phone which is all paid for.

The thing with your post is mate that your damned by the proffesionals if you do and damned by the rest if you dont because we constantly read and hear about the shortage of tradesmen as everyone goes to Uni.

One last tip though decide and decide early wether you want to be an installer or a repairer as i now beleive you cannot realistically be both.
Set your goals on one and become good at that there is always many years to learn the rest.

Good Luck
Charles

PS if you were round my way i would speak to my boss about some free work for you, you may find it hard however due to you being only available weekends as alot dont work them.

If you treat someone well ,teach them and you are a good judge of character to pick right person in the first place then they won`t jack on u in the future! when i eventually go on my own....... i will gladly have someone working for free for me, and if they do stab me in the back in the future i`ll make them wish they hadn`t so much so they will have to move counties.......!

i worked for free with the firm who employ me now when i needed portfolio evidence, they offered me a job before i`d even passed my acs and i wouldn`t jack on them ever, they helped me to get where i am now so they deserve my loyalty for a long long while yet.....

I think too many people are stuck up their own arses and seem to forget that once upon a time someone gave up valuable time to teach them.

nogoodatfaultfinding,

i read your post other day, good advice and i hope some young un reads it and takes heed and doesn`t give up at first hurdle like some on here would have them do.................

If you treat someone well ,teach them and you are a good judge of character to pick right person in the first place then they won`t jack on u in the future! when i eventually go on my own....... i will gladly have someone working for free for me, and if they do stab me in the back in the future i`ll make them wish they hadn`t so much so they will have to move counties.......!

i worked for free with the firm who employ me now when i needed portfolio evidence, they offered me a job before i`d even passed my acs and i wouldn`t jack on them ever, they helped me to get where i am now so they deserve my loyalty for a long long while yet.....

I think too many people are stuck up their own a**es and seem to forget that once upon a time someone gave up valuable time to teach them.

Its a hell of a good point!!!
I never ever do Govies as i do not believe in biting the hand that feeds you, some would consider Govies as tretcherous as you no doubt use van, fuel, phone and parts supplied directly from your employer and yet many others would see it as a perk of the trade.
No matter who you train and how good they turn out to be your loyal customer base will always be yours as they have faith in you not in the industry.

As for stuck up their own, Hammer Nail Head comes to mind mate, but then again some of the guys on here were actually born with a 16mm spanner in hand on top of a Boiler the way they go on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back