Loop in at Switch for Double Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am familiar with how looping in at the switch on a lighting circuit works, i.e. all three neutrals connected together, all three earths connected together, live in and out in com and live to light in L1. But in a double switch how is this done. There will be an in and an out and two light cables. Is it all four neutrals connected together, all earths connected. The light lives will still be in the two L1s, but what about the live ins and outs. Does one go in each com and a bridging wire put in, which I believe would work.

Sponsored Links
Is it all four neutrals connected together
If you didn't, what do you think would happen?

Bonus Q:

You have a 3-gang 2-way switch:

MKK4873.JPG

3 lighting circuits looping through it, each switch is controlling 2 lights, and how/where they are located means that each one has its own cable from the switch.

How many conductors will there be at the switch, and how deep a back box will you need to get them all in?

:D

I don't think much would happen.

Answer - 11 Earths, 8 Neutrals, 10 Lives (including two jumpers), 9 wires in the three core. So 27 plus earths. As deep as possible back box. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
How come - explain?

3 lighting circuits looping through - each with 3 conductors on the loop in, 3 on the loop out (6x3 = 18)

Each switch feeding 2 lights - 3 switches x 2 lights = 6 cables x 3 cores each = 18

18 + 18 = 36

plus if two way switching in the conversion method would add a further 3 cables with 4 conductors each = 12 +36 = 48

PS - back box required would be a 47mm - not only for depth but for the knock out sizes too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back