One way light on a two way switch??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a new light in the garage by taking the incoming power, running through a 3 amp fuse box to rate it down and installed a double light switch. The switch is a two way double but for now will only be used for one light as a one way.

Most of it is straight forward but my question is how do I wire a one way connection in a two way switch? I obviously have live, earth and neutral from the source and the light. I assume that live from the light goes to L1 and live from the source goes to Com, but what do I do with the neutral wires from each? Do I just put them together on a separate connection block? :?:

Plus, when I install the second light on the second switch, do I jump the live from the source across from com to com and what do I do with the new light’s neutral? :?:

Cheers for any help? :D

Russ..

Sponsored Links
the neutral comes from your spur and stops at the light.

the live comes from your spur and is joined (chock bloc) to the red to the switch (C) the black wire in the cable from the switch (L1) is then connected to the light and marked with red tape. this is the switched live.

so your light is actually connected to two blacks.

To avoid confusion i did not mention the earths, they should be connected as apropriate at the switch and light fitting

to make life easier for your second light do the same as the first, as it is less confusing

It sounds to me like you've come from the fused connection unit to the switch and then to the light, and you're intending at some stage you're intending to install a second light, again coming from the 2-gang switch? You're correct in what you say, your live feed from the supply goes into the common and the red cable to the light can go into either L1 or L2. Put you neutrals together in a connector block in the back of the switch. When you come to connect the second light up, just put a link in between the two common terminals and put the red cable going to the second light in either L1 or L2 of the second switch. Neutral in with the other two in the connector block. If you've a metallic back box, connect your earths into the earth terminal, if not stick them together in a connector block. Breezer has described a slightly different way of wiring the lighting, neither is wrong it's just a case of applying the relevant method to how you've installed your cables.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you both for replying!

Spark - your description is spot on, i should have been more descriptive :!:

I guess my assumption was correct i just wanted to validate it :D

Thanx again ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back