Loose mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen mixer tap is loose and I have no idea what I need to tighten.

I assume it's something under the sink. I've looked and can see a bolt but that seems tight already.

IMG_20170331_202903.jpg

That's all I can see. Is it something under there I need to do? I have spanners.

Sponsored Links
But its very rusty and has probably been loose and leaking for a long time.

May be well rusted up now!

Once they get loose and rusty the only way to secure is to replace. You may be able to get parts from your local independent plumbers shop or you'll need a spare from the manufacturer.
If the tap is a few years old then you may as well replace the whole thing, for the trouble!

Sponsored Links
And while you're at it - clean out that overflow hose. If it doesn't pong already, it will soon!

You can get a kit off e-bay for £2.50 which has a new bolt, clamp and washer.

I see three flexi feed-pipes: hot, cold and ????

Thanks for all the replies. I bought one of those tubular spanners and it did the trick perfectly. Bit fiddly but not too bad.

It does look quite rusty there but I'm not sure why? The kitchen is only two years old so it's all pretty new. Is there anything I can do to prevent rust, assuming that's what is. Spray with WD40 every now and again?

And while you're at it - clean out that overflow hose. If it doesn't pong already, it will soon!
Is that the white thing? What is it for? I haven't noticed a smell yet but you're right, it does look like it needs emptying. Haven't noticed it until you mentioned it!

Just fill your sink with the hottest water you can making it overflow down the tube on purpose whilst adding bleach (at the same time) - that should clean it out.
Take it from me taking overflows to pieces and reassembling them often results in something getting damaged.
Overflows are full of bacteria, uggh horrible things, they should be outlawed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back