loose roof tiles - help

Pricing: Re-slating including all scaffolds,skips, leadwork, etc etc. for £50 per m2? anyone doing it for that price must be missing something!! Certainly won't be using good quality slates. I'd be suspicious of anything below £65 per m2. (unless of course you are buying the materials and doing it yourself)

Siga 32 Not inclusive of fascias/gutters (Add £5-600) All to codes, with full warranties. And we make a profit from that. However, its fair to point out that we'd do upwards of 40 houses a time, but the lads will usually do a free/leaseholder while they are on site for the same money with us letting them have materials at what we pay.

Sponsored Links
The first thing the OP should do is get 2 more quotes to assess and repair (rather than mention replacing the whole roof). If they all say it's knackered then it must be, but the odds are they won't. There's a lot of this type of bumping the job up to major work status due to the economic climate. Besides, if it all blows off in a storm then that IS an insurance issue.

Agree with Joe 100%. Can't believe we got to page two before anyone suggested getting other roofers in for an opinion and quote.

Vinny; you seem resigned to paying £6k. Get a second, and a third opinion!

G'luck!

Skotl Thanks for the reply.

If i can add further to my earlier postings. The slate that was put on the roof appears to be the cheaper Spanish type of slate and what I am told has happened is the wind has / is lifting the slates and made the holes larger and this is what is causing the movement or flapping when the high winds blow. The roofer has said that to reclaim this type of slate and re nail is very difficult without breaking the tiles, this is on both front and back of the house.The problem is do I patch up or go with a better type of slate and totally renew the whole roof, obviously my call.
I am now looking at getting a second or third person in to look at the problem and see if I can work round the slates that we have. I get the feeling that we may be spending good money and be faced with the same issue over the next few years when the same happens to the tiles that have not been affected rather than replacing everything now. We get some really high winds where we are located on the West Cumbrian coast.

Sponsored Links
Gents, regarding slate hooks is there a requirement to remove the slates and then reposition with the hooks or do the hooks just slip over/under the slate. Are they also time consuming to fit as there may be quite a few to use. Also we are in a conservation area.

Personally I'm not keen on slate hooks, as they tend to be pushed by sellers of poor quality slate to stop failed slate falling out! so you can have a load of failed/cracked/broken slate on the roof and not know for many years until the battens and felt have rotted through.

If you do choose to re-roof, then using a good quality slate, put on by a good quality slater, in the traditional manner for the area (i.e centre nailed) then you will never have a problem again no matter what the weather.

Gents, regarding slate hooks is there a requirement to remove the slates and then reposition with the hooks or do the hooks just slip over/under the slate. Are they also time consuming to fit as there may be quite a few to use. Also we are in a conservation area.
It may be possible to replace some individual slates by using slate hooks.
But, if the membrane is directly below the battens, then the hooks will undoubtedly pierce the membrane.
If it's sarking, forget it.
The hook lies bewteen the lower two slates. i.e if you can imagine laying the slates initially, between each slate and its neighbour you place a hook over the batten. This hook will restrain the upper slate. But the length of hook has to be correct, otherwise the overlap is incorrect.

It wouldn't be practical to consider installing hooks to all of the slates without stripping the roof.

In practice, you also need counterbattens to avoid the hooks piercing the membrane.

Also we are in a conservation area.
Might need checking.

so you`ve got undersized battens and cheap slates that are - @ the moment , just rattling on their nails :idea: - get up there with tubes of Gripfill and glue them back down - it`s all got to come off someday and be renewed - this " bodge" :rolleyes: will give you a decade with no rattles - and time to save up for the best quality complete strip + reslate ;)

Re - so you`ve got undersized battens and cheap slates that are - @ the moment , just rattling on their nails - get up there with tubes of Gripfill and glue them back down - it`s all got to come off someday and be renewed - this " bodge" will give you a decade with no rattles - and time to save up for the best quality complete strip + reslate

Seems like a plan to me. Does anyone else recommend this? at the end of the day the tiles may not be the best but are adequate. Sometimes in life we are too ready to hand over £6000 as though its loose change.
How much would this cost on a average size roof by a roofer, obviously need to find out exactly how many tiles are loose.

One loose tile in 12 years? Hardly sounds like a disaster to me. Get it fixed and wait to see how long before another comes loose. It might be years.

Joe 90 - from first posting "The roofer has informed me that a lot of the slates are loose and have worked free from the battens and in his experience it would be better to remove all the slates both back and front from the roof and start again with a better slate and thicker/wider batten."

I have not been up on the roof myself but have been informed by a reputable roofer that there are numerous tiles loose through enlarged nail holes.

If they were half as bad as he says they are you'd get more than one slipped slate in 12 years. He's probably looking for a good pay-day rather than twenty quid to fix one slate. How do you know the slipped slate was ever fixed properly from new? You're a con mans dream.

Joe 90 - I have gone down the Insurance route to see if there is any claim from this. The assessor was out on Thursday but could not come up with any conclusion and has had to refer the roof to there surveyor who will come as soon as possible. Guess what the roofer who you refer to as a "con man" was also there in attendance when the insurance company turned up. Something a "con man" is highly unlikely to do if he is trying to pull a fast one. I am after advice not slagging off, thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back