Loss of dial tone and broadband drops out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since having broad band around 8 years ago it has always dropped out and reconnected as as now my up time 1:11 and rare to see over 24 hours connection. Two providers started with Virgin then Talk Talk they have been unable to cure the problem. To give talk talk their due they did provide a new router and it did help and they do seem to have done more than virgin.

Alternating rain and sun seems to make it worse. I would guess it forces water into places where just rain would not.

Now in last week we find also losing dial tone. If I unplug phones and plug them back in the dial tone returns.

It seems my neighbours are having the same problem. My father-in-law next door but one certainly is I have unplugged and re-plugged in his phones to get them working again.

Open reach have fitted now socket and no improvement.

I am told the TAM test show it as OK.

Where do I go next?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
90 % sure it will be the quality of your line,how far are you from the exchange ? and have you had a bb engineer visit and do a health check ?,lots of aluminium still in the ground,bb really does not like ally cable.p.s line test is a one shot test so it will only show line faults present at the time of testing,if your bb is dropping out,the bb equipment will be constantly adjusting to try and keep the line stable,this usually means the line speed plummets,(if you are on max rate i.e upto quoted speed).If you are losing dial tone then there is something wrong with line,sometimes you get high resistance disconnections,the connections corrode and the resistance builds up until it cuts your line off.A GOOD ENGINEER COULD CURE YOUR PROBLEMS. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back