loss of power in converted stables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all and thanks for your time in advance
Basically we have converted stables on site for accommodation and over the last couple of years we have been decorating a room a year. I'm onto the 2nd from last room now and had almost completely finished painting when..... the electric cut out. when I remove wallpaper i take the plug/light fixings away from the wall and cover them up with a plastic bag and then take the bag off and fix them back to the wall. my first thought was to check the fuse box but nothing had tripped, total power loss all throughout the stables. so i turned the main trip switch off and gave up for the day as it was too dark to work without light. next day I returned and turned the switch back on. Power seemed to be back on throughout but only at 50% Lights just didnt seem to be bright enough. turned main switch off and decided to take fixings off again and clean with a brush to make sure any excess dust was out. put back together and turned back on and it all worked fine!
however the next day when i tried to turn the light and stereo on, total loss of power again. following day.... its back on?!
any advice would be much appreciated. is there anything i can do/check myself before getting the professionals out. im a newbie to all this so be gentle
Antonia

Sponsored Links
If I read your post correctly you don't actually disconnect any of the wires, just move the fittings away from the paintwork. If this is the case then it's unlikely there is a direct link between your decorating and the electrical failure.

It sounds as though you're losing all power (lights and sockets), so all circuits are affected. In that case the first point of examination would be to look for a loose connection either at the consumer unit of the converted stables where the power comes in, or at the other end of the connection where it (presumably) comes from the property's main distribution board.

PJ

Unless...the main switch is an RCD and the decorating work is dripping moisture onto the electrical fittings.

Then the RCD trips. Maybe its one of those that just goes halfway down when it trips?

Ant, can you post a picture of the board fuseboard both with the power on and also if/when it mysteriously has turned itself off.

PS I'm guessing that nobody is changing/resetting anything at the place where the feed leaves the main building?

any advice would be much appreciated. is there anything i can do/check myself before getting the professionals out. im a newbie to all this so be gentle

Antonia

Honestly, I'd say get someone out.

Mike.

Sponsored Links
My worry would be a damaged PEN conductor. The dim lights makes me wonder as to if something of that nature has happened. If so it is very dangerous. I would call some one out without delay.

As to if supplier or electrician would depend on how it is fed. Does it have it's own supply or is it from a house or farm.

But before replying here get some one out. It's unlikely a DIY job. Or anything you have done. More likely some one digging a hole in the road.

My worry would be a damaged PEN conductor. The dim lights makes me wonder as to if something of that nature has happened. If so it is very dangerous. I would call some one out without delay.

As to if supplier or electrician would depend on how it is fed. Does it have it's own supply or is it from a house or farm.

But before replying here get some one out. It's unlikely a DIY job. Or anything you have done. More likely some one digging a hole in the road.

My thoughts exactly..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back