Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have to paint;

Skirting boards
Cupboard doors
Draws

They are all painted on at the moment, so I’m looking to sand them down, prime them and then paint them. Is that OK?

Re sanding; can I buy an orbital sander and use this on all of the above? Or am I best to sand by hand? I had a go at sanding already and it didn’t seem to roughen up the wood/paint much. What would I be doing wrong? It was basic sand paper from Wickes. Really looking for a quick solution as I have lots of work to do!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A random orbit sander (round disks) might be faster than an orbital. However, you don't need to be overly aggressive. Assuming that the current paint work is in good condition, even hand sanding with 180 grit silicone carbide paper should provide a sufficient "key".

Assuming that you don't sand all the way back to the wood, you won't need to prime. An eggshell/satin finish will adhere but gloss might require an undercoat.

If the colour change is substantial then (tinted) UC could well be advisable.

Thanks opps.

Is 180 grit silicone carbide paper something I can easily find in my local B&Q/Wickes?!

I’ve got satinwood paint to go over.

So your suggestion is;

Sand down,
Wipe and clean?
One coat of satinwood?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably 2 coats.

I recommended silicone carbide because the paper flexes and tends to be stearate coated, which reduces clogging. Typically it will be grey in colour, as opposed to aluminium oxide paper which is thicker (and normally red/green/yellow/white).

The DIY sheds will probably sell the 3M branded stuff, it's good but expensive. Your local decorators' merchant is likely to have cheaper but equally good brands. My personal preference is the National Abrasives, Selco sell them as well as some independants.

In the main, I would advise against buying paints in the sheds, they often sell the DIY versions of paints. They might look cheaper but if you need to apply 3 coats they are a false economy when you factor in your labour time. There is a good reason why professionals pay a bit more for the trade versions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back