loud thump when central heating goes off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pressurised central heating system and every time it turns off because it has reached temperature there is a loud thump noise. I have traced this noise to the zone valve actuator in the airing cupboard. It first makes a whirring noise as the switch travels from A to B, then the thump. The heating still works, but I am afraid it may explode at any minute. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the actuator is worn . Replacement may be possible without changing the whole valve dependant on make and model.

If it's one of a pair of zone valves, you may need a by-pass to allow the flow generated by the pump overrun to be accommodated. Do you have two zone valves and is there a existing by-pass?

Sponsored Links
We had this problem with some tower three ports

it turned out the ball that acts as a stopper was loose on the arm and it was that that was causing the thumping

Also on quite new drayton 3 ports, with the rubber wedge shaped pipe-blocker. Clipping the pipe reduces the noise a lot.

The actuator is a Drayton and it says on it Actuator Code ZA6 if that helps.
As for what it does, I was hoping someone would tell me! The switch on the side slides from A to B whenever the heating comes on and from B to A (with a thump) when it goes off, so I guess it diverts the hot water away from the radiators?
I can't see another box like it in the airing cupboard so I don't think it is part of a pair.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "tower 3 port". Is it the same sort of thing? If so, did you replace the whole valve or was it fixable?

Thanks for all the replies!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back