Low cold water flow Please Help!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I just moved into my new house 2 weeks ago and the cold water flow in the whole house is very low.

I called the water company and they sent an engineer out to check the problem, he tested the pressure inside the house, which turned out to be okay but the flow was below which was not good.

He then went further to test at the outside stopcock which had good pressure as well as flow.

He suggested the problem might be with my internal stopcock.

I replaced the internal stopcock but it made no difference.

When you open the taps initially you get the initial pressure which is good , but the flow decreases almost immediately. The initial pressure rules out a burst pipe in my opinion but I am out of ideas.

Please Help!

Sponsored Links
Do you have water meter and if so did he check it. I had an on-going problem at a customer's house and the outside stop cock was checked several times but it turned out it was the meter. Water companies don't like to admit that it's their problem.

Could well be a furred-up or crushed supply pipe to your house. I remember working at a house once that had 4 bar standing pressure but only 5 litres per minute flow rate. The only solution was to lay a new water main from the road to the house

As squeaky said check the water meter, it should have a mesh filter on the incoming side of the water supply, which could get blocked with sediment from the mains

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

I don't have a water meter.

I am thinking it can be a crushed mains supply pipe too. Just hoping that will be my last resort.

Sounds like you have pressure reducing valve somewhere,either that or whoever tested your mains internally is a d@ick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back