Low energy light bulbs or WATT?

definatly best to check if your not shure :D :D :D

look a bit silly or burn the house down :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Sponsored Links
An angle that I'd previously not considered that someone alerted to me recently is that while an 11w CFL gives off a lot less heat than a 60w filament lamp, using the CFL as a replacement in an enclosed fitting might give issues due to the fact that the CFL will still give a reasonable amount of heat and while the fitting won't suffer (having been designed for a 60w filament lamp) the CFL may do as it contains electronics rather than just metal and glass, etc

(its a potentional issue wherever a CFL is used in an enclosed fitting, not just for 11w in place of 60w, etc)

I must add though, that I've not seen one die from this though, and even if it did I probably wouldn't know about as I don't record the operating hours :LOL: anyway they are cheap enough not worry about it failing too quickly, much the same as we always did with filament lamps, other than I suppose from the POV of the amount of mercury ending up in the landfill in the name of green....

Adam, on a similar angle, one would expect the electronics to last longer in a CFL pointing upwards, due to the electronics being at the base, and any heat in the lamp dispersing upwards. ;)

Ah but.... in our ceiling light fittings which take two regular 40w bulbs, the lamp is horizontal as opposed to vertical, so maybe this would make a difference in terms of electronics and heat dispersal. Fascinating though this subject is, I think I'd better call it a day and just get on with changing light bulbs for now, but I can honestly say that it the debate has been an enlightening experience[/b] ;)

Sponsored Links
Actually, forget the last comment as I realise that it's exactly the same principle, regardless of whether the CFL is vertical or horizontal. Sorry! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back