Low hot water pressure to bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Can anyone suggest a pump which i could install under my bath to increase the hot water pressure to a mixer tap with shower attachment.
Cold water is mains pressure, hot water from the hot water cylinder in airing cupboard. We just use the shower attachment for washing hair not for a full shower but trying to get a nice mix is near impossible.
any help.

Sponsored Links
where is the cold water tank, and how far is it from the bath taps? and what height?

there are a couple of things you can do:

equalise pressure from hot and cold supply to bath (run them both from the cold tank). It is more or less impossible to get a controllable shower mix with Tank hot and Mains cold.

raise the cold tank (to increase pressure)

pump the hot and cold (but they must both come from the same tank)

If you have a flashy Italian bath mixer, there is a possibility that it has narrow waterways, but start at the top of my suggestions.

What size is the hot feed pipework?
Should be 22mm min. right up to the tap connector.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the qiuck replys.

The pipe is in 22mm, then 22mm flexi to the taps.
The cold water tank is about 2 metres above the base of the hot water tank but i have no way of increasing the height as we have a low pitch roof. So if i decrease the pressure on the cold feed i will be able to get better control but will lose pressure?
Is a pump not a good idea?
Any more advice will be great.
The mixer tap is a Moretti Cubico from Screwfix. suitable for low and high pressure systems.

If you have a flashy Italian bath mixer, there is a possibility that it has narrow waterways

Moretti Cubico ? Sounds Italian to me

p4762449_l.jpg

What size are the pipes going into the bottom of the tap?

I've just looked up this tap on the screwfix website.

On the product description page it says 'suitable for high and low pressure systems'. Nothing wrong there then.

However, in the downloadable manual for the tap, it says that the tap requires a pressure of one bar minimum, which is not low pressure as we in the UK understand it.

The bottom line is, you have a high pressure only tap, and screwfix have misdescribed the goods.

you could lift the cold water tank ten metres above the bathroom, that will give you one bar pressure

may not look too good though :(

you could lift the cold water tank ten metres above the bathroom, that will give you one bar pressure

may not look too good though :(

Getting planning permission might be tricky too!

Seriously though (for the OP's benefit) there are three options, short of changing to an unvented cylinder or combi boiler.

1) Keep high pressure tap, run cold supply from tank, and fit a pump to both supplies.

2) Get low pressure tap, and run cold supply from tank - will result in a lower pressure shower than the first option, but less technology involved.

3) Do without the shower attachment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back