Low level WC pan replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my low level WC pan but not sure what connectors are needed.

My Standard ideal low level toilet has given me 20+ years of faultless service but the pan sprang a leak at the exit (toilet spigot to pan connector) when I flush the toilet.

Please look at the photos I have uploaded.

I am concern about the height differential between the toilet pan and the soil pipe which mean the pan extension has a fall of 7 degree. There is a right turn immediately behind the tile wall which is inaccessible.

The soil pipe outlet I have been told is unusually low off the floor

The pan extension which I believe is made of one piece plastic looks nothing like the ones I have seen in the shops.

Are modern one piece straight extension up to the job for this or do I have to use a flexible connector?

Attachments

• IMG_20160808_145127.jpg
    IMG_20160808_145127.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20160808_140859.jpg
    IMG_20160808_140859.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20160808_140831.jpg
    IMG_20160808_140831.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 175
Sponsored Links
You have a normal pan connector, solvent welded onto a piece of soil pipe then plugged into a push fit soil pipe fitting. Wish every job I went to had that type of setup, nowt wrong with that. McAlpine or Multiquick straight connector with maybe a little extension will deal with that no problem. That being said a 14 Deg bent connector may be even slicker. Lots of options out there that will sort that out.

Just get the new pan and offer it up... You'll see what adjustments you'll need to make, if any.
As long as the new pan doesn't send the soil uphill you'll be fine and can take up any off-the-wall adjustment by shortening (cutting) the length of pipe or extending it with a new piece and a new straight pan connector.

OR: your existing pan might be fine and just needs a new pan connector and length of pipe to the pushfit socket in the wall.
The rubber may have perished is all!

First go with replacing the connector. and the flushpipe one too. You'll need to measure the diameter of the spigot on the pan to get the right size Multikwick

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies. Madrab is right. The connector is solvent welded on to a piece of soil pipe right in the middle. I can see the glue on close examination. Will be off to the shops to see what is available now that I know what is involved.

What could possibly goes wrong?

Just before I cut into the 110mm soil pipe jutting out of the wall I thought I will check with my torch the inner diameter of the soil pipe, which goes 40mm behind the wall before it does a 90 degree right turn. It was only 90mm! I detect a joint where it does the right turn but no change in diameter beyond.

How is it possible for a 110mm soil pipe transform into a 90mm diameter grey one?

Does it mean I cannot use push fit pan connectors ? I bought this which has an external diameter of 91mm

Wickes White Straight Soil Pan Connector | Wickes.co.uk
http:// http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-White-Straight-Soil-Pan-Connector/p/431975
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-White-Straight-Soil-Pan-Connector/p/431975

thinking the soil pipe would be one of these.

Wickes 110mm White WC Soil Pipe | Wickes.co.uk

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-110mm-White-WC-Soil-Pipe/p/435231

Last edited:
It will be a 4" LCC cast iron soil and vent stack with a 3 1/2" branch into pan.

What could possibly goes wrong?

With thousands of manufacturers and dozens of standards within the global market, the device required to ensure they all fit together, in an efficient and watertight manner, is called...
... A Plumber! :)

Just before I cut into the 110mm soil pipe jutting out of the wall

Why are you cutting the push fit soil pipe jutting out of the wall? Did the connector/extension in the picture not just pull out of the push fit connector sticking through the wall or is it solvent welded into that too (which seems pointless)? If so just replace the connector and pipe, don't cut the push fit end.

Or as D mentions, get a plumber (y)

It will be a 4" LCC cast iron soil and vent stack with a 3 1/2" branch into pan.

Erm, it is plastic, by the look of it.

Op, cut the pipe just outside of the ring socket a few inches from wall, the pan connector will fit in there. The 90mm diameter is inside of the bend and pan connector cannot be fitted inside, you need a clean straight pipe about 40mm long for the connector to go in for a good watertight seal.

Daniel.

The 3 1/2" cast iron collar is possibly within the wall.
Have you ever encountered 90mm plastic soil pipe?..I guess not.
Have a look outside OP , take a photo of soil stack and post back on here.

No worries, I have seen those collar ring before in the 70s and 80s.

Might ask the op if he can scratch the surface to see if it is plastic or metal. It look like plastic and box in so likely to be internal soil stack.

Daniel.

Thank you for all your replies. They have all been very helpful.

Yes the fittings are plastic and the house was built around 1980s. I think I will try out Daniel suggestion.
At this point I cannot think of a safer way of finding out what is happening without causing too much damage.

Oh Dear I don't think I can ever live down this cockup. As the old saying goes there is nothing worst than fear itself. How is it possible for a 110mm soil pipe transform into a 90mm diameter grey one? By not taking into account of perspective!
It's unfortunate that the numbers just match up to the standard pipe size. Here's is a picture I took earlier of the hole which is gone forever as I have cut the soil pipe from the chemically welded pan connected.

Attachments

• IMG_20160815_101312.jpg
    IMG_20160815_101312.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 129

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back