Low pitch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a problem. I'm doing a rear kitchen extension the full width of our semi detached house.

I haven't had plans drawn and am taking advantage of the new planning rules to go greater than 3 metres from the back.

I've gone 5 to the outside wall of the new extension.

Due to the windows above we're having trouble getting the 15 degree pitch and have had to upgrade to 9x2 timbers due to the large span.

Does anyone know what purlin I need to go back to 6x2's as ill just achieve the 15• pitch. Currently I'm at 14.6 but I want velux (or equverlant) windows.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Would a bco accept this?

Does the wood locate into the web of the steel?

I was also thinking maybe of getting an oak beam and leaving it exposed. Does anyone know what spec this would have to be?

Thanks

Would a bco accept this?

Does the wood locate into the web of the steel?

I was also thinking maybe of getting an oak beam and leaving it exposed. Does anyone know what spec this would have to be?

Thanks

It's at the inspector's discretion as to whether he accepts it or requires calcs.
You would run the rafters on top of the steel, with a 4x2 timber bolted to the top.
If you use a green oak beam,it will warp, twist and develop shakes after a year or two. It won't be a problem structurally but your roof might be up and down a bit.

Don't FAKRO do windows that are 10 - 15 Degrees pitch? Or some kid of Kit they supply... Could be wrong.

Yes they doing a new flat roof skylight 2-15 degrees not sure if its out yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back