Low pitch roof with slate finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a bit of guidance here.
I'm trying to find a slate (or other product with natural slate appearance) to fit to a new lean to roof with an angle of only 12 degrees.
It's a planning stipulation that it's to be slate appearance but I've only found the Tapco slate which is suitable for 14 degrees at the lowest. Building Control will check the manufacturers technical brochure, so there's no point in exaggerating the information.
I'm stuck with the angle of 12 degrees, so any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There are faux (inerlocking) slates available but none that i know of that will deal with 12 degrees.

Your best option is to thoroughly waterproof the roof at the sarking stage prior to tiling.

Board and felt the roof as you would a flat roof, then batten and counter-batten for the slates.

You just need to pay more attention to the eaves detail to keep it looking "right", as otherwise it can look too deep and nasty

You could ask if they would accept a flat roof counter battened then slated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
If I was to waterproof the roof prior to slates on battens and counterbattens, surely the fixing of the counterbattens through the waterproof layers to the OSB/sarking would defeat the purpose of a waterproof membrane?

The roof is still watertight to a degree with only a minimal amount of water getting through the slates if any.

The counter battens are nailed at the trusses..the membrane is not compromised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back