low pressure advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks,
just moved into a house here's the issue:

If I turn the kitchen taps and the bath taps on at the same time, the water stops (completely!!!!) in the kitchen. Not a drip..!

Pressure seems low generally. One neighbour says hers is ok but I do need to check with more neighbours she may not realise if its low..

Questions:

1.Whole house appears to run off 15mm copper, seems a bit limiting. I'd be better to use 22mm and only 15mm to individual taps etc right?? How much of a difference does this make?

2. I have a combi (ideal mini24) but it only has 15mm for supply & flow of hot water, is that normal? i presume flow rate isn't amazing from hot water on combi that's why not 22mm?

4. Looks like a mains lead pipe from pavement to house. Want to replace anyway, but exactly how much does this reduce pressure? This is drastic..!

5. the main stop cock is totally seized (but difficult to replace as all lead soldered which i'm not confident doing) wonder if its jammed

What are the regs for running a new mains pipe. unfortunately i have a steep sloping 30 foot front garden which oesn't make it easy. how deep does the trench need to be? What about those companies advertising trenchless technology? Does it work? The lead pipe comes into my house looks like right under foundations and up in middle of house next to a foundation wall, not sure pulling it through with somemachine would work?

thanks folks..

Sponsored Links
ahh, never thought of that..
if on street will affect neighbours too wouldn't it?
neighbour on one side reckons ok, other side are on holiday till tomorrow, will ask, might just ring water board anyway tho..
thanks

Back to basics first.

Maybe that seized stop cock isn't fully open. Is the main tap in street fully open?

That 24kw boiler is never going to set the world on fire in the hot water department. Will struggle to supply more than one hot tap.

Sponsored Links
thanks, yea. I wondered if stop cock might not be fully on.
The street stop cock, does it not just turn 90 degrees for on and off, or does it turn like a normal stop cock?

(I turned it 90 degrees and it stopped for doing some work on pipes in house the other day and just turned 90 degrees back on maybe i should try turning it more?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back