Low pressure after water meter fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After Thames Water fitted a water meter for me in the pavement outside, the pressure has been very low. They replaced the meter, but still the same problem.

They say some dirt has probably got into the pipes between the meter & my house, & now want to dig up my lovely driveway.

2 questions:

1. One of their plumbers checked the pressure at the meter itself & said it was pathetic. If the problem is in the pipes nearer the house, would the pressure/flow at the meter be low also?
2. Is there anything I can do to try to shift any blockage? e.g. turn the meter stopcock on & off, open & close all the taps inside, etc?

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Have first to realise that pressure and flow are different.
Sounds like there might be a blockage, but there are no magic solutions.
Complain like fury and hope for the best!

Thanks Chris.

Pressure v. Flow - I guess that a blockage means a 'flow problem' rather than a 'pressure problem' - right? Which means looking at the pipes between the meter & the house, & so the driveway comes up. :cry:

But when the guy undid something at the meter end in the pavement, water came shooting up a few inches instead of a few feet, at which point he said "Pathetic". Would this suggest a blockage in the pipework under the driveway or a problem at the meter end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back