Low pressure flush cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently got a new loo but it doesn't flush effectively. I think because the level of the cistern isn't much higher than the loo and the cistern capacity is quite small. Anyone got any ideas for increasing the flush power?

Sponsored Links
eat more fibre. makes the number 2's less sticky :)

seriously, sounds like the loo is just not well designed. take it back to the shop as inadequate.

Poos no problem - regularity good, consistency fair and flush fine! Perhaps more information than you need... :oops:

The flush just leaves paper behind. It seems to swirl the paper around but get rid of everything else. I bought the loo and cistern separately. Do you think it's more likely to be the cistern or the amount of water the loo allows through during the flush?

You bought the pan and cistern separately? from the same shop.was it a diy shed...small posibility that not matching pair? Cheap toilet paper can be a problem too.....no joking...it doesn`t dissolve instantly like Andrex.etc....Had a drain blocked once with foreign paper (and bodies.)

Sponsored Links
Just got rid of all my 'swirling' loos after putting up with same problem for years (they were put in when house was built). Tried a close coupled from MFI which is brilliant, so replaced the rest with the same type. A lot of the cheaper pans are old designs which swirl the water and gives you that problem. Get your wallet out.

Yep I bought the back to wall loo from avalon-bathrooms.com and a cistern from screwfix, both over the internet. In total it wasn't cheap but I guess if I'd have bought an ideal standard one of similar design it would have cost me loads more. Will try the better loo paper. Otherwise I suppose I should have spent more in the beginning but I thought that a cistern is a cistern is a cistern and a loo is a loo is loo...

The (design) problem is probably withthe loo not the cistern. If the waterways are too BIG the speed of the water is too slow. Can be worse if there's a sharp horizontal elbow right on the back of the pan - ie the waste pipe, which slows the removal of water by gravity.
Check that when the cistern has stopped filling , it's as full as it should be. There's usually a mark.
It is possible that you have a loo designed for more than the latest 6 litres of water. If so you can with some siphons plug a hole or similar to increase the volume, but a swirler is then just swirling longer.
It may be possible to raise the cistern itself if it's behind boxing. If not, then take the loo back and whinge.

You might try changing the flushing valve in the cistern, if this is the traditional syphonic sort. Some modern types do not use syphonic action and therefore give stronger flush with same amount of water (but not everyone on this site will agree!). You can fit a new flushing valve quite easily, but make sure outlet is same size as existing one (i.e. 1.5" or 2").

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back