Low price good quality

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you help please.
My son is in the throws of buying his first home and I would like to start him off with all the tools that he is likely to need to get him going in DIY.
I intended on spending say £300 of which £100 would be for a combi cordless drill. Which I thought Makita ould be a good choice. OK so far?
But, when it comes to hand tools I am lost. There are either cheap and nasty tools around a couple of pounds or the real quality ones more like twenty.
So what I would advice on is can you recommend saws, chisels, trowels etc. that won't break the bank but will also be decent quality.
Any brands that come to mind. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Spending that much on a drill may not be necessary. I bought a £20 18V drill from Focus several years ago, after a chuck change (£5) it's fine for fairly heavy DIY use. It'll do 10mm masonry and 32mm wood drilling without complaint. It's 100% hopeless for metal, though, just not fast enough to get anything done. A more affordable cordless (change the chunk on cheap ones) and a decent mains powered drill is a better bet.

As for other tools..

I use Bahco saws, look for a 20" Barracuda, excellent saw for around £8.
I have a set of Draper chisels which cost me £10 for four, very nice, hold a good edge and have a striking cap.
Draper also do an excellent set of VDE screwdrivers I use as daily drivers, for about £20.
Again Draper, 1/2" drive socket set, again about £20, hasn't failed me yet.

No, I don't work for Draper, I just find them good quality for the money.

either as others have said,or look on ebay for some very decent 2nd hand gear that is really bomb proof and he will be well pleased?

stuff like bosch blue for a drill goes on for years and will make mince meat of any lintels he comes across when hes installing his curtains.

even hand tools can be had for very little money.

Sponsored Links
if your after quality diy tools you wont do any better than ryobi
the one+ range has over 25 tools for the home and garden to fit the 18v batteries in general you can buy a hammer drill and another tool on a kit bag for around £100 with other tools ranging from £20 to around £80 to fit the batteries

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/ryobi-cck...m=email&utm_campaign=NEWSLETTER030210[/QUOTE]

and there ladies and gentlemen we have an absolutley eyebrow lifting surprise suggestion from big-all :LOL:

Screwfix do some really good deals on tool sets which include a carry bag, worth a look and i'm sure they would be fine for diy use.

if your after quality diy tools you wont do any better than ryobi
the one+ range has over 25 tools for the home and garden to fit the 18v batteries in general you can buy a hammer drill and another tool on a kit bag for around £100 with other tools ranging from £20 to around £80 to fit the batteries

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/ryobi-cck...m=email&utm_campaign=NEWSLETTER030210[/QUOTE]

and there ladies and gentlemen we have an absolutley eyebrow lifting surprise suggestion from big-all :LOL:

what? a ryobi salesperson :LOL: :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back