Low voltage / LED / solar lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for info on runing LED lighting for a small workshop from a combination of batteries and solar with mains charging power as a backup when the battery voltage is low and/or sunlight is limitted.
Ideally I'd like to run the lighting on a low voltage (12v ???) circuit.

Obviously it's technically possible, but I'm struggling to find any useful info on this. Is that becaues it just can't be done with commercially available kit. or am I using the wrong search terms in Google?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It can be done, but the problem is the cost of installation is far more than mains only lighting and any savings from using the solar power are so small as to be insignificant compared to the installation cost.

Instalation costs = £????.??
Labour costs for this project = £0000.00
Equipment costs = £????.??
Savings over mains = £????.??
Sanctemonious tree hugging sense of superiority = £priceless

Sanctemonious tree hugging sense of superiority = £priceless
Even that is not totally straightforward. For example, although they might not directly put many trees at risk, the battery(ies) (not required with mains lighting) alone have environmental and ecological consequences.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
as a rough guide a 50/50 5m strip will use 6amps at 12v so 5 hours will need around 36ah battery
that would give good light for a say 10x12ft shed
if you dont have mains look at say 7ah batteries or bigger if you can carry them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back