Low voltage lighting probs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP! I'm trying to run 3 x 35w 12v from a transformer (250va) which I've metered and is telling me it's 12v on the output. I've also metered the individual light housings which are all 12v. Cuh........ so can anyone tell why every time I connect a halogen, it blows immediately. I know I've obivoulsy done something wrong but can't see what! :confused:

Sponsored Links
What voltage are the lamps?
Are you touching the quartz part of the lamp with your fingers?

Are they cheap lamps? It is strange that as you have a 12v supply that they blow immediately, it doesn't sound like you have anything wrong.
Faulty lamp bases can cause problems but not normally instantly.

Sponsored Links
how are you connecting them?

picture?

Picture info is in forum information

very silly. I LIKE it.

what exactly happens when you try to connect any light?

from what you have said so far there is a short, have you a multi meter?

Thanks. I've made up 2 of them for a piano showroom. Thought they would light up the inside of the grands nicely. That is ....... if they worked.

Glows bright and pops all within a nanosecond. I have tested all 3 units with a meter and it reads 12v on each.

how can it read 12v if it only lasts a "nanosecond?"

are you able to use the same lamp again all be it a short while later?

i was thinking a shhort, you havent checked for this have you

Are the birdies second hand?

Does this happen with every single fitting, or just certain ones?

i was going to suggest something simialr.

since you made it, take one light fitting out and try it.

Sorry but its crunch time.

I do like the lights, but if you can not figure what is wrong, i have to ask are you qualified to make them and install them since you did say they are for a piano show room.

In todays society if anything goes wrong insurance will pay out, then claim it from or sue YOU

The birdies as brand new. Tried halogens on 2 of the birdies, haven't tried the 3rd. The stem which I made carries no electrical current. Only the wires travel up through the main stem all soldered and covered with heat shrink. Ok, nanosecond is maybe a bit quick but certainly no more than half a second. I have a friend (a sparky) who is on holiday for 2 weeks, but really wanted to sort this meself. So I will get it checked out by a qualified electrician when he gets back. But.... it is or should be as simple as wiring a plug.. I would have thought. Thanks for all the replies.

AFAIK the only way (apart from physical abuse) to make a lamp rated at X volts burn out almost instantaneously is to connect it to a supply which is significantly more than X volts...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back