Low voltage lighting questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I am hoping to install/have installed low voltage lighting under my kitchen units:

The kit I am thinking about comes with transformer and 3 lights (with 1 metre of cable each).

- 1 metre of cable is not enough - is it ok to extend the cables (by cutting them and inserting a longer length in the middle)?
- The transformer comes with a 3 pin plug - is it normal to run such lights off the ring main instead of the lighting circuit?
- To add a light switch is it a case of cut the cable between the plug and transformer and wire in a switch?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
First off, are these 12v lights> If so then this is Extra Low Voltage. Low Voltage can be as high as 500V!
In answer to your questions:

1 metre of cable is not enough - is it ok to extend the cables (by cutting them and inserting a longer length in the middle)?
In general, Yes. But it needs to be done properly

- The transformer comes with a 3 pin plug - is it normal to run such lights off the ring main instead of the lighting circuit?
Can be either.

- To add a light switch is it a case of cut the cable between the plug and transformer and wire in a switch? -
No, because the transformer would still be powered up and may not like running with no load. To turn off the lights you should be turning off the main supply to the transformer.

TTC - that's what he said - "cut the cable between the plug and transformer and wire in a switch"

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies:

Yes they are 12volt lights.

You say to extend the cables between transformer and light it 'needs to be done properly' - is that as in using terminal blocks instead of a botching them together :D

Does the same shop, sell a metre long extension with the same plugs on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back