Low Voltage Wire Track Lighting. Various questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm planning some lighting for a cellar/wet room and have a couple of Qus about LV wire track lighting. Will of course be going down to my Electrical Suppliers to make sure I get the right stuff and some advice, but I have a couple of Qus which would help with the planning if I knew the answers to them. (and I will of course be getting my friendly local Sparky to do the Part P cert for me!)

1) Protective Extra-Low Voltage (PELV) or Safety Extra-Low Voltage (SELV)? - if I have a transformer located in an area outside of Zones 0-3, and connected to a consumer unit, is it classed as PELV as opposed to SELV if the earth is connected? Does it matter what class it is if all the light heads/tracking is going to be located in Zone 1 & 2? Are LV systems given IP ratings?

2) Can I use any toroidal 2-300va, 230v to 12v lighting transformer? There's nothing special about the fancy ones they sell with track lighting kits is there?

3) If I have a distance between the transformer and the start of the lighting cable run, does this count in the maximum cable length limit? i.e. If I've got a system that recommends no more than 10m in 2x5 lengths, I cant add 4m of copper core bog standard lighting grade wire between the transformer and the start of the fancy cable run?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back