Low voltage wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The ongoing saga of my kitchen refit!

The low voltage lighting i have (2 x transformers) for cupboard lights and under cabinet lights has been going to plan,

However,

The length of cable supplied with each downlight is only 1m and the distance from 2 of the lights back to the transformer (in the most central location Vs Power supply) is nearly 4m!

Maplin supply the type of cable here:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=9910&doy=4m3#overview[url]

But at £5.99 per meter! x2 of pos and Neg that's a rather expensive run of wiring.

Does anyone know where i can get this wire cheaper???

Cheers
Mike[/url]

Sponsored Links
What rating lamps are you using?

One run per lamp?

You dont need to use silicone insulated cable, they use it at the final connections to many lamps due to heat - but you are extending, not replacing I assume.

The biggest thing here is that you make sure you are ok on volt drop. 12v lamps are very suseptable to undervoltage - a slight drop in volts can half the lamps life.

Use ordinary wire. for that distance use at least 2.5mm² or 4mm² wire of any type as long as it is copper.

The lamps are 20w. Only 2 need an extension (not total wire replacement) of 4 meters of cable.

Any suggestions on suppliers?

Sponsored Links
Sgt Bilko said:
The lamps are 20w. Only 2 need an extension (not total wire replacement) of 4 meters of cable.

Any suggestions on suppliers?

REHASH!

Now been looking for weeks trying to get hold of some decent priced (not £9.99 p/m from Maplin) low voltage cable to extend my low voltage lamps cable slightly.

Any of those knowledgeable experts out there have any suggestions. Please. :(

Use ordinary wire. for that distance use at least 2.5mm² or 4mm² wire of any type as long as it is copper.
You didn`nt have to look to far ;)

soaringjock said:
You didn`nt have to look to far ;)

Cheers! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back