Low Voltage Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting low voltage lighting in my house, if it ever gets finished being built, I am aware of the loads to put onto transformers etc but which is the best way of wiring from the transformer to the fittings, there could be up to 4,5 or 6 fittings to a single transformer. :?:

Apologizes, what I actually mean is do I come out of the transformer into the first fitting then to the next etc etc (daisy chain) or do I come out of the transformer to one light then out from transformer again to the next etc etc (spider) or do I take one lead out of the transformer run it into then out of the fitting and then tp the next fitting etc then back to the transformer?

Sponsored Links
how do you mean "which is the best way of wiring from the transformer to the fittings, there could be up to 4,5 or 6 fittings to a single transformer"

I think mwood64 may be asking about the switching method. e.g, which side of the transformer should the lights be switched from. You should always switch from the primary (240v) side, this way the transformer is switched off when the lights are not in use. It's also worth understanding something about voltage drop if you intend running extended areas of cable from light to light. If you are not staying with the manufactured cables supplied with the units, or if these are not supplied, be sure to calculate for voltage drop and resistance, low voltage lights can cause the cables to become warm/hot when not installed correctly

I think mwood64 may be asking about the switching method. e.g, which side of the transformer should the lights be switched from. You should always switch from the primary (240v) side, this way the transformer is switched off when the lights are not in use. It's also worth understanding something about voltage drop if you intend running extended areas of cable from light to light. If you are not staying with the manufactured cables supplied with the units, or if these are not supplied, be sure to calculate for voltage drop and resistance, low voltage lights can cause the cables to become warm/hot when not installed correctly

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back