Low Voltage Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to convert my 12v 50w MR16 lamps to 230v GU10 compact fluorescent (only about 11 watt each) my question is: is it safe to do this when the fittings only state 12v 50w max? I know I would have to change the bulb holder but is it safe to convert them or do I need new fittings?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
And how did you propose to connect the 240v mains cables to the new lampholder

And how did you propose to connect the 240v mains cables to the new lampholder

The fittings have a connector block on them like this:

mr16.jpg

Do you even know that you can get new bulbholders?

And by the time you've faffed about doing it, wouldn't it be easier to just replace the fittings?

How many are there?

Sponsored Links
A connection unit thats designed for 12 volt two core then.
What about the earth connection.

Do you even know that you can get new bulbholders?

And by the time you've faffed about doing it, wouldn't it be easier to just replace the fittings?

How many are there?

I know that I can get bulb holder as I work in a wholesalers... I cant just replace the fittings as they are converter fittings that go over larger holes.

A lot of wholesalers sell downlighters and give you the 12v lead or the 240v lead depending on what you want.

Whether right or wrong i dont know
personally i would like to see the fitting labelled same as the voltage rating.

Your main concern would be that the metal bracket fits your lights as the connecter laying loose above the ceiling is not ideal

I'm thinking about this now. We've got 14x LV 35w (some might be 50's) halogen spots on 2 circuits in our kitchen ceiling and they're the lights in the house that spend the most time switched on. 6 hours a day? 10p a KW/h? - I reckon they probably cost about £100 a year to run. Add to that the fire risk with all that heat.

Was thinking of replacing 1 circuit immediately and then using the bulbs/transformers as spares for the other until I'd run them down (2 transformers with intermittent faults at the moment).

Looked at CFLs a while back but the megaman's would't go in the fittings. TLC's newest LEDs look interesting though (close to current gen of LED tech used in torches and the like) and are *very* low power. Actually might just replace the lot - payback time of a little over a year from the looks of things.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLGULH.html

What issues would there be with running these with the connectors at the top and a small connection box for each light to connect to the incoming lighting circuit?

Shame Robus haven't got a picture of the product. In my experience though the Robus fittings are badly made with cheap components... :(

Fitting contains 24 x 1W high powered white LEDs with light output comparable to 2 x 26W PL

----

Doesn't fill me with confidence - those are really old, poor, LEDs - the "stick a lot of individual LEDs in" is the way things are going. A small number of good ones and some reflector is what you're looking for.

The ones on TLC are claiming 65lm/W against 55 for the Robus.

The Robus LED downlight, 24 watts = 1400 lumens
A single Philips PL-C lamp, 26 watts = 1550 lumens, so 2 of them = 3100 lumens.

Obvious to anyone that 'Fitting contains 24 x 1W high powered white LEDs with light output comparable to 2 x 26W PL ' is a total lie.
At best, the LED efforts are the same as the PL tubes for the same wattage. The alleged 55% savings are also accompanied by at least 50% less light.

References:
Robus LED, Philips PL-C lamps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back