Low voltage transformer, can I leave one connected, unused?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am making some changes to the low voltage lighting in my kitchen ceiling. Replacing 4 high wattage transformers for 14 lights with 14 small ones which fit through the light hole from underneath. I have realised I am about to lay a floor upsatairs and will never be able to gain access to the transformers again if I leave them under the floor.

So, I am simply taking the big transformers out of the circuit, and then adding 14 new ones. But, there is one I can't get to. I can remove the output cables from it, but I can't reach the input side of the transformer. Can I just leave it connected? It will have nothing on the output side??

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Sponsored Links
best not to..

the output side of a transformer can climb to quite high voltages if not connected to a load..

can you not cut the cables to it and join them in a junction box ( somewhere you can pull it out of the light hole from below..? )

trwb99 said:
Can I just leave it connected? It will have nothing on the output side??
Tom

You would need to check with the manufacturer of the transformer if it is SAFE to be left powered without any load on the output.

But imagine the problems if at some time in the future this transformer develops a fault and trips the power supply off. The floor will have to come up then.

Why not make the effort to relocate the 4 transformers to an accessible location below the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
You will also be using power (albeit negligible) to magnetise the transformer even though it is not doing any useful work (green is good) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back