Low Voltage Transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some low voltage lights coming from two separate transformers (2 sets of 3x20w @ 12v). Both sets are brand new and installed properly.

Both sets are controlled from the same switch, but recently one of the transformers has been playing up.

They both used to light instantly without fail when the switch was turned on. Now, when I turn on the power, set 1 lights up instantly as it should do, but set 2 doesn't come on for up to 30 seconds.

It does light up, eventually. :rolleyes:

What on earth is causing a delay? It never used to do that!

If anyone can explain the cause I'd be greatful.

Sponsored Links
bad connection

loose connection

transformer becoming unstable

breezer said:
bad connection

loose connection

transformer becoming unstable

I've made sure all connections are tight. So guess it's become unstable - it's only been used for about 3 hours in total!

cheers.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Still under guarantee?

Yes, but a pain to get access to!

I just wondered if it was something the transformer wasn't happy about as it claims it's got all these protection features on it.

I forgot to mention that after the intial delay, the next time you turn on the lights they come on instantly. It's only if they are left for some time that it reverts to the delay.

Sounds like a temperature related fault. Do any of the protection features mention temperature?

ban-all-sheds said:
Sounds like a temperature related fault. Do any of the protection features mention temperature?

Yes. There is one for overheating, Shortcircuit and under-voltage. But this fault occurs the first time it's used - it works fine after that.

If it wasn't for the fact the transformer sitting alongside works perfectly, I'd assume it's too cold or something. They are Soffit (sp?) downlighters so the transfomers are sitting in a watertight box up under the roof as indicated in the instructions.

It must be just faulty, but will be the first for me as I've installed loads of these blighters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back