Low voltage troubles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :)

I have some trouble with some low voltage halogens.

Originally, I had a LV dimmer controlling some kitchen lights.

One gang of the dimmer controlled some under cupboard lights via 1 transformer. The other gang controlled the ceiling lights via 2 transformers.

The transformers were dimmer capable, one of them was these, the others were lower power ones so as not to exceed the dimmer rating.

Anyway, this setup worked fine for about a year with no trouble. Then the dimmer started playing up and lights would turn on / off on their own (the dimmer was touch sensitive - not push button). Then one set of lights stopped working.

I figured the dimmer had probably messed up the transformer by switching on and off too much, so I replaced the dimmer with a normal 2 gang on/off switch. All was fine. But since then the different sets of lights go out randomly. The transformers are getting power, but are not outputing anything (0V).

My question is, what do you think has caused this? Do you think the faulty dimmer could have weakened the transformers to the point they randomly fail. I don't want to get replacement transformers if the same is to happen again.

Any thoughts/help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Transformers do just fail :cry:

i have a few and for no reason one just gave up the ghost

FYI:

The IEC definitions of voltage bands are:

Extra Low Voltage: AC below 50V and DC below 120V

Low Voltage: 50 - 1000V AC or 120 - 1500V DC

Medium voltage: 1kV - 35kV

High voltage: 35kV - 230kV

Extra-high voltage: >230kV

Sponsored Links
I wish you luck then. but since your favorite place to hate call them low voltage you have a big struggle

I wish you luck then. but since your favorite place to hate call them low voltage you have a big struggle
Perhaps I should start buying lamps there, and keep taking them back for a refund saying "I connected it to a low voltage supply...."

Hello :)
The transformers are getting power, but are not outputing anything (0V).
What did you measure 0volts with.

Some meters do not read the voltage from a electronic transformer.

I personally would connect the output ends directly to a spare good lamp, preferably via a new lampholder , to confirm the output,before writing off the transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back