Low voltage under water wiring

Sponsored Links
I think that some years ago it was called Safety instead of Separated
I don't think you are wrong.

Even to the point I recall it being referred to as 'Safe Low Voltage'

It doesn't help when publications such as this are out there with a lovely comparison chart:

Last edited:
I think that some years ago it was called Safety instead of Separated
I don't think you are wrong. Even to the point I recall it being referred to as 'Safe Low Voltage'
Perhaps one problem with having the 'S' of SELV meaning 'Safe' is that it might be taken to sort-of imply that there is something 'unsafe' about PELV (and FELV) ?

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps one problem with having the 'S' of SELV meaning 'Safe' is that it might be taken to sort-of imply that there is something 'unsafe' about PELV (and FELV) ?

Kind Regards, John
Good point there John.
Also it could infer it to be very safe, intrinsically safe , very few electrical things are absolutely safe under all circumstances too.
I believe that the Nazis did some experiments in WW2 to find that it was possible to extinguish human life with currents down to around 12mA under the right (wrong) conditions. Indeed, I always think that all our precautions in the regs only makes things "relatively safe in comparison to ............ So below 50v and use of RCDs etc is only making things that bit safer in normal dry conditions . Result - the only safe voltage is Zero Volts or thereabouts, the only safe current is around zero milli amps etc etc. In fact the only safe electrical supply is if it is miles away from you present location. :giggle:

Sponsored Links
Absolutely Bernard.
My use of "Voltage" was actually used in an alice fashion and quite rightly you stated the PD, see not even those quite pedantic of us get everything right every time. Be sad if we all always did - life would be boring without folk to correct me or argue with me or merely take a different stance from me. So I am deliriously happy that you corrected me on that one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back