Low water preasure upstairs/mixer tap/shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house and am trying to get a shower installed in the upstairs bathroom. At the moment it has a mixer tap with a hose and shower head attached. The problem I am having is that when I turn on the mixer taps and lift the shower head to above 3 foot thewater preasure drops so much that it will not come out of the shower head :(

The water tank is on the same floor as the bathroom and i know the problem is being caused by me lifting the shower head above the tank.

My question is... what is the best thing to do about it ? If i install an electric shower wont i experiance the same problem? is it best to install a pump in the system some place to increase the water preasure.? if so were is this pump installed? in the bathroom or in the tank cupboard?

is there another option i have not thought about? a

any help would be fantastic!

Sponsored Links
If you have your heart set on an electric shower you have three options:
1) Feed direct from mains.
2) Feed from tank with electric shower and pump.
3)Feed from tank to electric shower with integral pump.

Look at something like the Triton T80si/T90si Pumped.

Will work from cold storage tank from a head as little as 8cm (0.08m/ 0.008bar).

i dont really have my heart set on anything :) just wanna take a shower :) I dont mind using tghe mixer taps.. but how do i get the water preasure up ? there is not much room around the bath to install a pump so im guessing i would need to do it in the tank cupboard?

Pumps usually push water better than pulling. If you were installing a pump then its best as close to tank as poss.

Sponsored Links
ok.. so is a pump the best option ?
or is a shower with a built in pump better ?
How easy is a pump to install?

if it stops @ 3 foot then you`ve got a feed cistern @ that level :cry: I`d recommend a Techflow negative head pump ..............cuz` they are made here in Sussex ;)

Technically speaking, a shower with built-in pump would be easier to fit, because you only need one power source ie the shower. For a pump you need to wire in the shower and then the pump seperately, means more cabling and additional eletric work...

BoxBasher said:
Technically speaking, a shower with built-in pump would be easier to fit, because you only need one power source ie the shower. For a pump you need to wire in the shower and then the pump seperately, means more cabling and additional eletric work...

So.. would a shower like the Triton T80si/T90si Pumped be the answer? I just install that and problem solved? Will the water preasure be enough to push the water up to the shower unit though? Sorry i dont know if they are capable of sucking it up to them or not?

Depends on your existing setup, have you got a cold tank in the loft? If yes then all you have to do is pipe a dedicated feed from that to your shower with no other draw-offs on the pipe (you can still have other feeds from the tank, just not off the pipe to the shower).

Pumped triton will work from a tank as long as it is more than 8cm above the shower. Exact size of the tank is specified in the shower doc's, believe its around 120litres

ok thanks for the help. I have a cold water storage tank so i will go along this route.

I will need to install power to the shower. I have been told that it needs to be run from the main fuse box because amount of power it pulls. Is this true or can i run the power from the extractor fan suply that is already in the bathroom?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back