Low water pressure to upstairs tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone will be able to help or point me in the right direction.

Our water supply to the block had to be switched off temporarily to facilitate some local works on Monday morning. Did not think much throughout the day until we experienced the water pressure was a little low after 12 midnight in the bathroom. Water would run a litlle, then dribble.

Was still a little low on Tuesday, but after work, found out that the water to the bathroom and toilet upstairs had low pressure. Again, if you left it long enough, water would run, but fade away within 30 - 60 seconds.

The kitchen mixer tap (cold) seems to be running as normal (the hot side of this mixer does not work by the way). The washing machine also seems to fill as normal. I believe this feeds off the mains like the kitchen tap.

The toilet downstairs has also started to fill slowly (I believe this is fed from the tank upstairs which feeds the water boiler, bathroom and toilet upstairs).

Does it sound like it's an internal air lock issue? What's the best way to resolve (considering the hot side of the kitchen mixer does not work)?

The water tank sounds like it's taking a long time to fill. This has been the case recently (probably not as slow?) but water ran fine, so left it. Before this, the tank refilled with the sound of gushing water!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Firstly, I would contact you water supplier and ask if there is any supply issues. There has been news of frozen pipes having to be repaired, so that could well be an issue.

Blockage in float valve in loft that is not filling the cold water storage tank quick enough which has now caused an air lock.

Andy

With the tank having had time to refill overnight, the water pressure seems to be normal this morning. Does this mean there's no longer an airlock within the system?

My only concern would be the lack of water later in the day.

I guess this rules out burst / frozen pipes.

I think we have one of those older galvanised tanks - if the slow filling is due to a blockage in the float valve, how easy / difficult is it to get to and repair?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Turn off water supply to tank, remove/refit new float valve. Turn on water supply. There should be a stopcock next to the water tank.

Post pictures.

Andy

Thanks Andy

Looks like I spoke too soon!

Seemed like normal pressure this morning, and from what I've been told it was okay this afternoon.

But the pressure seems to have faded again, with water pumping out for a few seconds before it dries up.

Does this sound like an airlock or someone reducing pressure outside? Could it be that there's inadequate pressure from the main supply serving this block as more people will use during the evening, or is it likely to be not enough pressure (through lack of water) from the tank?

Hi Andy

It;s not actually in a loft.

I'll have to take the main panel off.

The other think is there is a stopcock near the tank, but that's seized up. I think the main one in the kitchen could be closed off if I need to stop water from filling the tank?

Yes ,you will need to turn off main stopcock and drain down by turning on kitchen cold tap.

Not sure how to upload a video, but it's literally slow and not gushing like it once did. Having said that, it's been slower from another event a while ago.

Strange that it's happening in the evening.

If the stopcock / valve needs changing, it's going to be quite difficult to access!

Speak to your neighbours in the “block”... are they experiencing similar issues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back