low water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, recently had a drop in water pressure in my home. found out that the water company had been out and done some work on the outside main supply to my house. since then i've had really low pressure on all taps. i've checked the combi boiler pressure and its ok. think it could be an airlock. how do i try and sort it. been told to turn off internal stop valve and run taps but unable to do this as think its hidden behind a stud wall. Any help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A drop in pressure or a drop in flow? If you turn the tap on full really quickly does the water come out fast to start with then slow down or is it slow from the start? The two aren't entirely linked. If it's a drop in flow (starts fast and gets slower) then it's probably a bit of muck in your supply pipe. If it's slow from the start then it's more likely to be a general supply problem. Are your neighbours having the same issues?

Your combi boiler pressure has nothing to do with your mains pressure, they aren't connected in any way other than when you're actually filling your heating system, which is the pressure being measured.

You really should dig out that stop cock, you may need it one day.

thanks for your reply, sometimes the flow starts off fast other times not. if 2 taps on at same time then no water will come out of one. how do i clear the problem if it is muck in the supply pipe? do i need to take off taps one by one and then turn supply back to flush through?

Have you asked your neighbours if they have the same problems?

If all your taps are affected then the problem is around your stopcock, most likely just before or inside it, and in any case not before the first tee off it. Best course of action is to turn the suppliers stopcock off in the road/pavement, drain down your entire system through the taps, remove the internal stopcock (yes, you really are going to have to find it I'm afraid!) and inspect it. If there's muck in it, clean it out. Would also be a good idea to find a way of running your supply pipe, without the stopcock, to outside, then turn it on in the road to flush it out for about 10 seconds or so. Then refit your internal stopcock and see how it goes from there. You could of course look at taking the opportunity to replace your internal stopcock for a new one if it's a bit stiff.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. I cut away the stud wall and got to the stoptap then took ends off taps. quite a lot of dirt came out when i opened tap up which was the reason for the low flow. All seems ok now except got to patch up the hole in wall!! Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back