Low Water Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have low water pressure to my property and United Utilities has confirmed that the reason is due to the fact that I am on a private supply which connects to the main a significant distance away.

My supply goes back to a 63mm main using a 32mm pipe and the run is approximately a third of a mile away. The options of upgrading the supply look to be costly due to the distances involved and so I was wondering whether there any sensible alternatives I could consider??

A pump for example?

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
Either a "break" tank and pump, or an "accumulator" if the static (zero flow) pressure is ok. Look em up ;)
You'll need to measure what pressure and flow you have.

I can measure the flow easy enough but how about the zero flow pressure?

D

Sponsored Links
Consider a small booster unit from a company called Smedegaard pumps. They will size it to your requirements.

If the pressure at the main is good but poor at
your house I think it is more likely you have poor flow due to
the pipe being crushed at some point.
Measure the static pressure. If you have a good static pressure say approx 2-3 bar an accumulator tank is an option.
Or as already said a break tank and pump set.

Thanks for the responses.

Certainly some options I didn't know about.

Still waiting for UU to let me know the closest place I could break into the main.

D

salamander do the home boost pump. i cant say if there any good or not .as iv not fitted one as yet. but will solve space issues. personally break tank and pump as mentioned. accumlator too. but the sheer size needed could be a problem.

Just been looking at my new UU bill for the house we have recently moved into. No mains drainage, no surface water drainage and a 'private' water pipe back to their main. My bill is 780 quid a year and apparently I have no right of appeal. I wouldn't mind if they would connect me up to the main adequately but as it is I am getting 4 lites of water per minute for 3 times the price I was paying in my last house!!

Surely they have some responsibility for supplying water at a reasonable rate even though I am on a 'private' supply.

Out of interest can I elect not to use water? Maybe it would be better using my well. :evil:

D

Hi all.

Just resurrecting this thread as only just getting round to doing this. I had previously looked at a complete module with pumps and accumulator plus tank that was designed to go underground. I think you could opt different size tanks and I was planning on 5000 litres. I know this is big but sometimes the water goes off here for over 24 hours.

I can't seem to find the product now and wondered whether anyone could point me in the right direction?

The beauty of this modular approach was the ease of fitting. Basically dig a hole, connect up incoming supply, connect up outgoing supply and power up.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back