lower glazing bead for timber window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just received a set of timber windows for my mums house and the lower piece of beading used to fix the glass in is deeper (front to back) than the other three pieces by about 9 mm. The window company says that this is to stop water seeping back under the beading and thus compromising the double glazing unit. Is this standard practice or just wishful thinking? The underside of the beading does not have a drip grove in as on the underside of a sill. Would I be best to route a grove in this piece or to trim it to the same depth as the other pieces thus making the front of the beading flush with the frame. That way I can paint over the joint and see if there are any gaps.

Any advice gratefully received.

Steve

Sponsored Links
It is correct, fitted loads of beading like it

As God says its quite normal, its deeper so it forms an over hang just like a cill, one thing to check is that the bottom rail where the bead sits has 2 groves running from the front to the back of the rebate, this allows a drainage route for water to drip out instead of collecting under the dgu and trapped by the bead in question, no all timber window manufacturers incorparate this

Thanks for the info. I have routed a slot under the bead anyway. Can't do any harm.

Crank39, I believe my frames don't have these groves front to back (they're not here with me at the moment). What sort of dimensions would they need to be? I'll hand cut them before I put the frame in.

Sponsored Links
About an 1/8" wide and the same deep, whenever i fitted timber windows (normally Magnet) i used a drill bit on its side and pressed down on it

I think the beads are meant to sit on a rubber block so the water drains away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back